Britannic First Class R & W room

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hello,

Does anyone here know something about Britannic's Reading & Writing room?? The room @ the britannic had Straight walls but i need to know the window places

Greetings
Lars

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Lars!

Not sure what you mean. According to her plans Britannic R&W room must have 3 windows. A big one and two smaller one there were the bulkhead forms like a U. The big window was in the middle. Sorry, difficult to explain. I am not English.

Ioannis

Reactions: 1 user

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hi Ioannis,

I'm not English too:p I'm trying to recreate The A Deck of Britannic. According to the Deck plans of Britannic, the following picture must be the R&W room.

britannic_rw_room.jpg

I hope you can help me out,

Lars

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Lars,

yes, that is the R&W room. The windows were there were the wall goes like this )
There was a window in the middle. )-
Then one window right and one left of it. I don't think I have a picture to can show you.
Good picture, have you make it?

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hi Ioannis,

Thanks for the info;) yes i made it with sketchup. that's the A Deck model what i'm making.
I let you know when it's quite finnished

Lars

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hello all,

I may be a little stupid because i forget the name of the object XD I have a picture where you can see it. Does that thing appeared in the R & W room on Britannic too??

titanic_r__w.jpg

Lars

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Lars!

I am also not sure how it is called. :)
However this was not planned for Britannic! Only Titanic was having it and the Olympic before her 1912/13 refit. Britannic, like Olympic after refit, would have a wall looking like the wall aft were the fireplace was.

Ioannis

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi again!

So far as I know Britannic must have also a fireplace on the same place were Olympic and Titanic were having one.

Yes, the "thing" on Olympic was replaced by a wall. While Titanic was in service it was decided that the R&W room was too big. Only a few people use it. So it was decided to cut the one alcove of the R&W room and place there 4 1st class suites, which were behind the forward 1st class staircase and the R&W room. This was then done during the Olympic refit, were she also got also a Cafe Parisien on B deck and a few other things.

Ioannis

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Around 1912/13 Olympic was looking more and more like Titanic in some places.
The A la carte restaurant on B-deck was extended on the port side until to the hull. And on starboard she got a Cafe Parisien which was a popular place on Titanic. If you ask me, Olympics Cafe Parisien was better.

Ioannis

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
I have another question:

@ Britannic's Boat Deck, The Reading & Writing room's Raised roof. The deckplans say that is has a straight line but the A Deck Plan shows something else.

titanic_r_w.jpg

Don't look @ the colours i'm trying to make them better but only look @ the red mark

lars

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Lars,

sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean. So far as I can see you plan of A deck is correct, going by her plans.
On port side of the boat deck (over the 4 or 5 suites in front of the R&W room)there was placed a new room on Britannic, which would be the Childrens Play Room. Maybe you mean that?

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
I know but is that correct or do i have to pull it to a straight wall?? I hope you understand it now you see i'm a little bad in English:p

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Correction: I wrote "The wall you marked in red would be on boat deck the aft wall of the childrens play room." The aft wall of the childrens play room on boat deck would be in one line with the aft wall of the gymnasium on starboard and the 2nd funnel outline. So overlapping a little the roof of the R&W room but only a few feet.
Maybe it was that what you mean?