Back again with my concept of the Britannic Smoking Room
smile.gif

73674.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Chris!

I base my work on the Harland & Wolff concept sketches and descriptions of what the Britannic's interiors were to look like when completed, so yes the drawings I've done are what the Britannic's First Class public rooms would have looked like.

Best Regards,

Brian

M

Matt Endacott

Hey Brian, can you tell me where i could find the descriptions of the Britannic's public rooms & also their first sketches. Also, could you please email any other pics you've done, they look great!
Good job.
[email protected]

Best Regards,
matt

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Matt!

The descriptions of the Britannic First Class public rooms can be found in most books on the subject, or what survives of Harland & Wolff's archive on the liner. I could send you all the pictures I have rendered but they may not send depending on how much your inbox can handle. I will send them in several separate emails.

Best Regards,

Brian

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I was looking at the Builders Plans (the ones with the eraser markings still visible) and I noticed something that I have never noticed, not even in all my time spent on The OBRC, that the smoking room originally had a different layout. It appears Britannic's original concept had no accumulator room and two sets of square bay windows, rather than just the one each side of the ship. The room occupies the are which became the Veranda pantry and the smoke room bar, and the bar appears to be in place of the mens lav., while the lav. has been moved into a section of the Accumulator Room) This concept would have been grand, although quite large for a smoking room. The need for more pantry facilities in the Veranda and Palm Courts is another obvious reason why this arrangement was changed.

Any more insight?

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
A room for accommodating accumulators.

Perhaps I ought to go on to say that an accumulator was an old style battery usually consisting of lead plates suspended in acid and capable of storing and re-emitting an electric current passed into them.

They obviously provided a reserve electricity supply. I assume this was for the W/T (radio) room but perhaps others can confirm.

Noel

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
"I thought it had something to do with water."

There were hydraulic accumulator towers but these were eminently terrestrial structures. A dead weight was pumped up the tower on a piston during slack energy demand times (usually overnight) and it was then released to provide hydraulic pressure on its descent to such as dock gates, cranes etc. The system is redundant nowadays but you can still see the towers preserved at various industrial sites, including Liverpool and Birkenhead docks.

Noel

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
I have looked at plans, high resolution photos,
concept drawings, etc. and I have come to the conclusion that the concept drawing shown at the top of this thread was actually how the smokeroom was configured. The windows of the port and starboard extensions were changed from those of Olympic and Titanic. Here is a drawing I made of the pattern that appears in the concept drawing. http://webpages.charter.net/bpread/Britwin.JPG

The original black and white concept drawing has more detail that can be discerned. I had to go to actual photos to identify those on the forward and aft faces of the port and starboard extensions and there also was a window on either side of the extension of the same pattern. From measurements made, it appears that the forward and aft windows previously mentioned were narrower than those on the outboard sides of the extensions. Unfortunately the original rigging plan and the revised rigging plan for HMHS Britannic do not show the windows flanking the extensions. When all else fails you have to go to the photos. Unfortunately, you have to have really good copies of the few Britannic photos that exist to be able to identify what exactly was the configuration.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
After my previous post I was studying some Britannic deck photos I thought I understood. Apparently I did not because some additional bracing of the boat deck girders seen on A deck confused me because I had never seen them on either of the sisters. The bracing is found aft of the aft first class entrance on A deck. Once I had the proper orientation I found that a couple of things I said earlier were wrong.
First, it appears that the smokeroom windows were only found on the port and starboard extensions and in the small alcove which was created just aft of these deckhouse extensions.
On these extensions also there were only windows on the outboard sides. Additionally, on all windows which on Olympic and Titanic extented to
raised roofs of the first class lounge and smokeroom, the window extensions on HMHS Britannic's boat deck were eliminated for both the lounge and the smokeroom. I don't know the exact purpose for doing this but several photos confirm this.
The port side of the first class smokeroom on HMHS Britannic also had the windows forward of the port deckhouse extension eliminated.
The photos which confirmed these new observations were A deck photos of HMHS Britannic and the boat deck photo of Rev. Fleming.

Regards,
Bob Read

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I was referring to the "original" configuration of the smoking room, the configuration that was never realized.... Full details regarding the smoking room can be found in Mark Chirnside's excellent resource, "The Olympic Class".

The windows in the raised roofs would have been present on Britannic, as they were yet to be cut out.

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Steve:
I'm not sure what you are saying. You said:
"The windows in the raised roofs would have been present as they were yet to be cut out." Look at the photo of Rev. Fleming on the starboard side of the boat deck just aft of the lounge. The ship is in service and there are no boat deck lounge window extensions. I believe this is probably why they installed two skylights on the roof of the lounge.

Regards,
Bob Read