Britannic Grand Staircase

L

Luke Mack

heres what I think Britannics stairway might have looked like
oldstair2.jpg

Feb 21, 2005
You did an excellent job on those Luke! Thanks for posting them!

So you're another one (like me) who believes that the clock on the landing was removed and replaced with something else?

You did a great job on the painting where the clock would go too! My compliments!
happy.gif

L

Luke Mack

Thanks Matthew. The clock was very nice and useful, but the painting is nice too isnt it!

Feb 21, 2005
Yes another excellent job Steve! Love the carpet! The furniture looks great! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Did you never get the staircase itself to work out the way you wanted? I'm been anxiously awaiting your rendition of the Britannic's Grand Staircase.
happy.gif

Have a great evening!

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Wow, it's been a while. I've been busy working on Queen Mary computer images in the meantime, and I think I have gotten the hang of this a bit more than before.

Anyways, Here is a new shot looking from the landing of the staircase, still have a few details to add (such as the carvings above the clock, etc) but I think the color of the wood is better in this model.

britannicstaircase.jpg

Feb 21, 2005
Lovely, absolutely lovely. Steve, do you still have any plans for the Britannic Staircase itself? I'd love to see your renderings of the changes made to the staircase itself. Or is it too tough with that particular program to get the exact mesurements and curviture. There was supposed to be some differences in the wrought iron designs, as I've heard were some. You've got me hooked on your pictures and please keep up the hard work!
happy.gif

Thank you for gracing us with your art. The Britannic finally turns into color.

Can't wait to see more.

Matt.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I've been completely rebuilding this model from the ground up, using Sketchup and rendering with Vray. So far, the rough idea is down. Still need to add more textures, wood carvings, the iron railings, ceiling detail, furniture, etc... but the basics of the room are in place.

bgsc.jpg

Jan 7, 2002
There seems to be have been a major change in the design of Britannic's grand staircase-

If you were on Olympic and Titanic-if you were in the gymnasium, headed forward, out the door onto the Boat Deck landing of the Grand Staircase-you could turn left and walk to the port side.

On Britannic, you would have walk forward, then turn left , walk down the stairs to the mid way landing, then up the stairs to the port side-A rather inconvenient design change in my view...

On the recent expeditions to the Britannic wreck- have they confirmed if Britannic was missing a portion of a Boat Deck landing (of the Grand Staircase) which Olympic and Titanic possessed?

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Hey everybody!
I've made some progress on the model since the last time I've posted. I am now finishing up the last of the molding and carved wood, and I am ready to load in the newly built wrought iron railings (complete with gold leaf detail). I have been busy on other projects, but I am very happy with how this one is turning out. The hardest part of this thus far has been creating all the wood detail. My original model relied heavily on use of bitmap mapping, where this one is all of the real detail. Which is why this small project has now been going on for almost 3 years. When I started, I was very much the amateur when it came to 3d rendering, and while I am still far from expert, you can definitely see a different level of detail in my new model. I know some things still need to be tweaked some, especially ceiling detail and the flooring. This will give you a very good idea with where I want to go with this model and the "mood" of the scene.

The scene will take place just after sunset, as the warm glow from the beaded light fixtures above bathes the Grand staircase and the elegantly dressed passengers descending for dinner. A scene which sadly never happened on Britannic.
britannicsgrandstaircase.jpg

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
One of the nurses diary which she wrote in right after the disaster described a 'marble' staircase. What she meant by that and exactly where this was, she didn't say.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I think she was talking about the flooring being marble, as the staircase would have been nearly identical to that of Olympic's.Only a small amount of wood graced the space when she sunk, as can be seen in the one photograph of the 3 nurses standing where Honour and Glory Crowning Time would have gone.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Steve

Thanks for that. I couldn't imagine she was talking about the actual staircase, but was perplexed as to what she meant. The floor makes sense. TIS did a 2 issue anniversary tribute to the Britannic last year. Did you see them?

Mike

Feb 21, 2005
Nice to see you and your renderings again Steve!

>>Only a small amount of wood graced the space when she sunk, as can be seen in the one photograph of the 3 nurses standing where Honour and Glory Crowning Time would have gone.<<

Sadly said photograph doesn't give us any real hint as to the stairs themselves. If you look at the picture though, in front of the three nurses, there appear to be two dark-wood newels and the right newel appears to continue right with wood railing. It begs the question if the staircase itself was already, or nearly complete, minus the paneling and possibly the clock being added to the forward bulkhead.

As we know this area wasn't completely baron of wood, I just question how much was actually there when she sank. Sadly unless a lost photo or diary from someone who was there surfaces, we'll never know for sure since any wood would have suffered much the same fate as Titanic's.

Steve, once again I want to compliment your beautiful work. It's very easy to look at this newest one and imagine the scene on a Sunday evening with everyone dressed to the nines for dinner. The level of detail is simply amazing as is; can't wait to see it complete with the wroght-iron. Simply stunning to see RMS Britannic come to life in color. If only the people in 1916 could have seen her this way!