Britannic Grand Staircase

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Lars,

I too have noticed the presence of the windows where the Reading and writing room should be, but errors like this were common. PErhaps it wasn't done by the shipbuilders, but someone else. Or it was an early drawing just focusing on the details of the new aft bulkhead (notice, no staircase is present). The other render from the top of the stairs looking down matches this one exactly for most intents and purposes. So there should really be no doubt as to which ship this is supposed to be.

Hope that helps.

G

George Whiteside

Does anybody know the correct coloring of Britannic's grand staircase flooring?

L

Luke Mack

Britannics Grand Staircase
britannic_staircase_copy2.jpg

Yourj Benig

Apr 27, 2012
Manila, Philippines
Britannic's Staircase during the HMHS voyages had the dome?

What would it looked like if the Grand Staircase hadn't been placed? was the staircase on the britannic just only an ordinary staircase or some of the fixtures such as the dome wasn't removed??? I know we are all curious about it.. but I think the staircase had the dome because it was iinstalled even before she was launched. :)

Sep 27, 2015
Britannic's Grand Staircase?

I've read somewhere that Britannic's staircase was emerald green instead of the woody colors used on Titanic and Olympic. I had also heard that Britannic's was smaller and didn't have the part connecting the port and starboard sides of the boat deck section of the grand staircase like her sisters had. If anyone could just confirm this for me, that would be great. Thank you!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The Olympic had its staircase painted avocado green and gold in 1933, towards the end of the ship's life. This was in line with the art deco fashion of the period, and to modern eyes seems much less attractive than the original natural wood finish favoured by the Edwardians. By that time, of course, both the Titanic and the Britannic were long gone but had they been still in service they would no doubt have been subject to the same makeover.

Dec 23, 2017
Not sure if these images have been shown here before but here is the dome in the wreck. Its interesting that the casing roof is intact but the dome itself is not
Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image5.jpg

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Britannic's Grand Staircase?

I've read somewhere that Britannic's staircase was emerald green instead of the woody colors used on Titanic and Olympic. I had also heard that Britannic's was smaller and didn't have the part connecting the port and starboard sides of the boat deck section of the grand staircase like her sisters had. If anyone could just confirm this for me, that would be great. Thank you!
Looking at the concept and architect renderings I don't think it was any smaller than her sisters. You ARE correct that it no longer connected at B Deck cause a floor to ceiling organ and paneling took it's place. (Personally I prefer the TItanic and Olympics design) It also differed in it's two banisters that were attached to the descending staircase sides. That was pretty cool actually, how it looked in the designs.

A question I have is the newly designed flooring... was that to be linoleum or was that carpet?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I always took the floor to be linoleum since carpet in such a high traffic area would require a lot of upkeep. It also looks like the pattern is some sort of love knot style.