Britannic in Peacetime Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
Did the BRITANNIC conduct trials in peacetime colors? I know she was almost complete when the Admiralty requisitioned her for service. If not, then could someone repost the "doctored" pic of TITANIC that is supposed to show BRITANNIC in White Star Line service?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Matthew!

The Britannic was painted gray for her launch and as far as I know she remained gray through her limited outfitting as a passenger ship.

When she was requisitioned by the military she was painted white with hospital ship trim, from this point on she remained white so the answer is no, she did not wear peace time colors for her trials or any other time during her brief career.

Here is a rendering I have made showing the Britannic in White Star service as a passenger liner.

[Image posted was larger than Message Board limits and has been removed. MAB]

Best Regards,

Brian

Oct 20, 2003
WOW! She looks beautiful! How did you ever do that?! Hope you don't mind if I use it as a background for my computer screen!

Thanks again,
-Matt

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Although Britannic was never actually painted in White Star colors, there were some postcards made up showing her in White Star livery. One of them is on Great Ships.

B

Brian R Peterson

[Image posted was larger than Message Board limits and has been removed. MAB]

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Dear Brain,

That is an awesome recreation of the Britannic as she should have been! She actucally doesn't look as bad as I thought she would with the gantry davits. This is the first time I have seen a color recreated view with her full set. Well Done Brain!

B

Brian R Peterson

79877.jpg

Nick Rose

Nov 4, 2003
i think the cross piece on the foremast was just for hospital ship service. other wise a great photo! good job! thats a neat what would have been photo!

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Jeremy!

The original image I worked from was an exceptionally clear photo of the Titanic on her sea trials.

I had to heavily doctor the photo working with Britannic photos and schematics to accurately hand draw in all of the Britannic differences such as the gantry davits, number of boats, the deckhouse on the Poop Deck, covered Aft Well Deck, and the A Deck Promenade and B Deck window pattern among many others.

The project was done at high magnification for seamless blending and shading, and took almost six hours to complete.

The end result is a very realistic and convincing photo of the Britannic as a passenger liner that I am quite proud of!
proud.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
Brian,

I agree with the others that it is indeed a nice image you created, sad that she never looked like that.

But I believe you have been warned before about providing the true source of the images you use for your Photoshop work.
The original picture is one of HMHS Britannic at Mudros, on the 3rd of October 1916.
If it really was a Titanic picture, I'm sure a few collectors would be interested!
smoke.gif

Regards,
Remco

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

I can assure everyone I made the above rendering from a photo of the Titanic and did not take it from a drawing as some think,

And this is for Remco - I know the ORIGINAL source for my rendering was in fact the Titanic on her trials and was not the Britannic at Mudros, I know it was the Titanic because here is the photo of the Titanic I originally used!

79891.jpg

Best regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Greg,

You have done a nice Britannic, however your davits are obviously copied and pasted, and facing the wrong way I may add.

The version I have made features the correct "folded in" davit placements and lifeboat arrangements, and was not made from this image as I just viewed it after you posted the link.

Best Regards,

Brian

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
This is the last I'll say on the subject - I'll let everyone judge for themself.

Now I do hope I can figure out how to upload a photograph!
happy.gif

Ok, that didn't work - long live the preview function.

Here is a link to the Britannic '98 expedition page which shows the photograph I mean, sadly the resolution isn't very good.

http://website.lineone.net/~britannic98/abbrit.htm

Regards,
Remco

Apr 23, 2002
Fair enough - I thought they both your version and minelook remarkably similar.

But btw, the davits would not be facing the wrong way if the port davits and lifeboats were lowered

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Greg!

I apologize for the earlier implications; I thought I was being snipped at when I read your post. Although now that I see a similar photo that Remco posted, the same I assume you based your photo on, I noted that the davits were originally in the “swung out” position you have them, before hand I thought you had copied them from the starboard side and pasted them to the port. I have seen other sloppy attempts to create an RMS Britannic this way and it is a pet peeve of mine if the additions are blatantly obvious.

Forgive me for my misinterpretation.

Best Regards,

Brian

Justin Keeney

Aug 4, 2005
would the Britannic still of had the extra lifeboats if it would have been put into commercial service, I always thought that the extra lifeboats were added to deal with the increase of people due to the sick patients onboard.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Justin,

Yes, I believe the Britannic would have had the extra lifeboats. Since the regulations had changed to 'lifeboats for all' immediately after the Titanic disaster, White Star had to comply with the new rules. Plus, they didn't want to take another chance, when it came to not providing enough boats.

J

Jeffrey Word

http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/rms_britannic.htm

Jason is very correct. The decision for the extra lifeboats and gantry davits was in effect long before Britannic's conversion to a hospital ship. Take a look at the RMS Britannic designer's model and you get an idea of what Britannic would have been if she'd been allowed.
happy.gif
Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.