Britannic Lights

M

MATTHEW JOSEPH COOPER

Anybody know where the green lights of britannic were located at I can never picture in my mind what It looked like with those lights on at night probably like a UFO ha ha.

Apr 23, 2002
206770.jpg

M

MATTHEW JOSEPH COOPER

Did the lights fill up the whole cross or were there just lights on the outline of the cross?I believe the red crosses that lit up were the two on the very top deck right.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>no but by all means remove it now he has seen it<<

My colleagues have advised me that since this is a screencap, Fair Use applies. However, I will note...for the sake of keeping the legal eagles happy...that this screencap comes from the movie "Britannic."

M

MATTHEW JOSEPH COOPER

Thanks but did the light bulbs fill in the whole cross or the outline of the cross.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Ioannis:
I have no reason to doubt that you are correct about the lighted crosses being "glass panelled" but I have never encountered that information in my research. Do you have a reference that I may have overlooked?

Regards,
Bob Read

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Bob,

I am not quite sure but I think I came across it in one of the expedition reports. Not sure if it was one of the Greek or the British dives. Would need more time to go though my stuff.
But I know that also Mark Chirnside mentioned it in his book The Olympic Class Ships.

And if I am not mistaken also a survivor or someone who travelled before November 1916 on her mentioned them. But not sure about this.

Kind regards
Ioannis

Jan 14, 2001
Take notice that the stern photo owned by me and Mark clearly shows that the green "belt" of lights was continuous (around the stern). The lights on this area were placed on the structure of the rear docking bridge and were not in any contact the box-shaped morgue.

Bob Read

Mar 3, 2002
Ioannis:
I'll be interested to see if you find some definitive reference to the structure of these crosses.

Regards,
Bob Read

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
As Michail has no info maybe Mark could have one as he mentioned them in his book?

I am sure I came across it in a dive report were they also find the cable for the green lights on B deck. But I can not remember which expedition it was. (Sure nor Cousteau.)

As I am under the impression that also a survivor claimed it, the first one which comes into my mind was Rev. Fleming. Unfortunately he did only writes that they were lit by no fewer than 125 electric lights.
Interestingly he made a photo very near to one of red crosses (starboard aft) which looks like a box. The forward part must have been of glass of course.
Maybe it was another survivor, need to look.

However, if I came across the information I will post it.

Kind regards
Ioannis