Britannic Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

Here is my rendition of the Britannic's Pool. As you can see, she would have been far more luxurious than her sister ships Titanic or Olympic - it is a shame she never saw White Star service
cry.gif

73530.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Matt!

Yes, it is a terrible thing Britannic never saw passenger service however the pool did exist. Since the ship was released from government service sometime in 1916 and returned to White Star, Harland & Wolff began refitting her passenger accommodations and when the ship was returned to military service a two or three months later that same year, (which doesn't seem like much time, but you must remember the interior of the Titanic was completely fitted out in less than six months) it is unclear as to what areas of the ship were finished in that time and what the state of completion of said areas was. This evidence comes from the writings of Violet Jessop, a nurse aboard the Britannic (survivor of the Titanic, Lusitania and later Britannic disasters) who wrote of using the pool to relax, indicating it was finished to a state where it could be used, though it is unclear as to if it was ever completely fitted out as shown, she also described her First Class cabin as being "cozy" indicating it was one of the few that were finished by Harland & Wolff before the ship was commandeered by the government.

Best Regards,

Brian

N

Nicolas Roughol

Brian,

Nice work with the pool. One question though: I've never heard of Violet Jessop being a survivor of the Lusitania torpedoing. There as a crew man (a steward) named Jessop aboard Lusitania who did not survive the sinking, but no Violet Jessop I believe...

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Violet Jessop was aboard the Olympic when she had the collision with the Hawke, the Titanic for the iceberg, and the Britannic for the minefield. I read her memoirs and she never mentions serving on either the Lusitania or her near sister the Maurtania.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

Thank you for the compliments on the pool.
I am sorry for the misinformation, in name association I confused Steward Alfred Jessop with Nurse Violet Jessop (I assume no relation) when I posted my last entry and did not discover this until after I made the post.

Best Regards,

Brian

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
I have another question: What are the red things up left?? Are those Portholes or what are they?

Greetings

Lars

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Lars!

That is a good question. As you may know Olympic and Titanic were having 8 portholes at the swimming bath. On Britannic the location was the same and looking on the Rigging plan for Britannic you can see the same 8 portholes. If they did not make any changes, she was having the same number as her sisters.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Lars, you are welcome!
To make it correct, of the 8 portholes only 7 were visible from the pool area. The 8 porthole was in a "cabin" in that room. Can not remember what that "cabin" was.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I was having a look into the Olympic/Titanic plans. The cabin were the 8 porthole is is an ash ejector. I am not sure if it was the same on Britannic or if the ash ejector was placed outside the swimming pool area.

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Ioannis,

Thank you this will help me further
happy.gif
Sorry to bother you, but i have again another question: As you can see @ the Picture from Brian above this page, you see that there are 3 lights/lamps ( i don't know the exact word for it ) Do you know how many Lights were on it??

Greetings

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Lars!

No problem! So I can also learn a little more about it and also about things I forgot.
That question is now really difficult. Here Britannic was complete different from her sisters.
As you see Britannic was having 3 light fittings. Mark Chirnside compares them with the light fittings on the grand staircase. These were having 4 bulb/lights, if I am not mistaken. [I also does not know if I used the right words! :)]
I can of course can only tell here a guess, I do not have any information about it. Maybe here is someone how knows more?
My personal guess would be 4 bulb/lights as in the grand staircase light fitting. And not to forget, there were also some wall lights.
(For example the bigger light fittings in the reception room were having 5 and in the A-la-carte restaurant even 10! But I do not think that the swimming bath were having more than 4.)

Ioannis

Status
Not open for further replies.