1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Britannic's First-class Dining Room

Discussion in 'Design and Decor' started by Nigel Bryant, Apr 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Hi Jeffrey,

I'm not quite sure which image was suggested to be a dining saloon picture...after all, Michail's website labels them clearly.

Brian has indeed done a good job, and the renderings look pretty good indeed. I'm hoping that if he sees this thread's recent postings he can chime in and say what sources he used to determine the colour schemes, or if the schemes were based on earlier Olympic-Titanic designs. I really don't know much about colour schemes myself, although someone like Daniel Klistorner or Remco Hillen would be able to help as they are both very knowledgeable. Daniel posted some interesting information about the differences between Olympic and Titanic's early colour schemes about two years ago, which was really interesting.

Best wishes,

Mark.

2. Jeffrey Word

Jeffrey Word Guest

I'll have to look for that thread by Daniel. I've always been interested in what Britannic would have looked like, and what it ended up looking like in the end. There's just almost NO information out there especially about what the ship looked like after the hospital conversion.

I believe Mike Standhart said that it was pretty bare and with nothing but white steel pillars in most of the rooms. Very dull. I just wish there was a picture that showed a little more of the Grand Staircase than the one with the nurses standing by the wall where the clock was to go. Maybe some photos will turn up in someone's attic one day. It's happened before. But yes, any information regarding this would be so appreciated! And thanks Mark for your input! You've always got good imput!

Best wishes back!

Jeff.

3. Hi Jeffrey (or should I call you Jeff now?),

Hopefully that thread will be easily found through the search function...I don't remember where it was.

Britannic is an interesting ship. I agree with you about the shortage of information out there, but there is some good stuff to be found in the few diaries that we have from her voyages in 1916. The trick is searching for the odd throwaway comment which might indicate something...although there's a lot of supposition in there too. The correspondence as to the ship's value, and the value of fittings that were not installed but retained in storage, also tells us a few facts. I was going to do a research article on it but I've been fairly busy and I didn't really think there would be much interest. Simon Mills also published a fairly detailed account of her layout, at least, in his 2002 book -- at least I think he quoted it at some length as to the various decks and public rooms.

In general, I would agree with Mike's comments about the bare interiors. After all, there's no need to install what you don't have to.

Best wishes,

Mark.

4. Jeffrey Word

Jeffrey Word Guest

>>I would agree with Mike's comments about the bare interiors. After all, there's no need to install what you don't have to<<

Agreed 100%. I'm with you guys on the interiors. It's just that so little is known, it makes the mystery a little more intriguing. I've been trying to research the Britannic for a number of years, but there's so little info out there that is published. IMO there's more unanswered questions about the Britannic than either of her sisters. I find that most intriguing. I just really want to know what that staircase ended up looking like. I wish they could have gotten a shot of it like they did of Olympic's. Even if it is just bare steel and simple wood railings. It'd just be neat to see what stood in the place of what was supposed to be. Plus, IMO the proposed grand staircase for Britannic was just TOO much. The arching of the railings just doesn't make it any more attractive, and turquoise and white for the floor??? lol. Once again, I'm not making fun of the artist at all, for I'm sure he got his color ideas largely from known fact, but that ship, IMO, was going to be far FROM the most luxurious in the world. Those rooms will make you dizzy and make ya hurl! lol. At least they would me. Too loud and busy. (color scheme I mean). Still is a very neat ship that I would love to learn more about. BTW, Jeff or Jeffrey. I don't really care. happy.gif Call me "hey you!" if you want. happy.gif Have a good one Mark and I look forward to your next post!

Oh, Did H&W have any detailed interior plans of the Britannic that were ever made public? There's got to be some paperwork around somewhere still. Unless it all was burned or something. I'm not sure what happened to all of White Star Line's paperwork and plans after the company shut down or merged, whatever happened to it. happy.gif Thanks again Mark!

Jeff.

5. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

the dining rooms where stunning on all three ships including reception rooms and private dining alcoves and ceilings over 10' tall.

6. Hi Jeff,

I must say that I lean towards the viewpoint that ‘true research’ — from primary sources — is far more productive. Anyone can read the books available, but by the nature of publishing they can quickly become outdated. Indeed, the books available are only as good as the sources and reasoning that they are based on.

I think the mysteries surrounding the ship do help to make her more interesting. Even as perceptions change, they can be modified. For instance, until the use of the Britannic photo showing the number ‘G608’ on Britannic’s bridge front on the back of the book The Olympic Class Ships, no one had seen reason to question the recorded number ‘G618’ for Britannic (and Captain Bartlett’s mention of G608 in correspondence after the sinking was written off as a mistake). Despite the archival references to G618, Bartlett’s report and the photo seemed fairly solid evidence of the ship’s number being G608. The problem now is that Michail Michailakis has come into possession of a photo from October 1916, and although it’s grainy it does show the number ‘G618.’ It had been suggested that the ship’s number did change between her 1915 maiden voyage and her return to service after the summer of 1916, but the difference of only one digit seemed to throw this into doubt…now, well — the mystery’s wide open again. We do have sufficient photographic evidence to show that the number on the ship itself changed, but I’m not aware of any ‘paper’ references to G608 other than Captain Bartlett’s. Beyond that, for the moment it’s speculation.

Similarly, recently a lot more has been learnt about the ship’s officers — which highlighted that relatively little had been known about them. Indeed, even in the 1990s the ship’s sixth officer for her final voyage (for one) had been misidentified, a mistake corrected in Simon Mills’ 2002 book; and I think I’ve made a very strong case that the ship’s Second Officer in 1915 has been misidentified in my article for Michail’s website. Whereas the ship’s log did not record when the ship’s first and sixth officers (from September 1916) had left the ship, my own research into the officers’ own papers has helped to answer that question. Indeed, Remco Hillen has been doing a great job in researching the officers and he has found out a lot of interesting material.

Meanwhile, new information from the wreck (such as the 2003 expedition), the ship’s interiors and items such as the lifeboat configuration have been subject to research in recent years. Simon Mills’ reading of the number of lifeboats intended for the ship, from the specification book, opened up a small debate in 2002 or 2003 as to the contradiction between various sources — from the deck plans, to Engineering, contemporary press reports, and the specification book itself (which showed two sets of numbers, one of which was crossed out).

I’ll have to disagree with you on the staircase design, but as I’ve said I really wouldn’t know what the colour schemes are based on.

Yes, the company certainly did make available the plans of the ship’s accommodation. The builder’s plans, for instance, show in detail the changes such as the increased private bathrooms.

There’s really no ‘got to’ about it, IMHO.

It’s a very complex question. I think Paul Louden-Brown covered it in the Commutator in 2001 when Gardiner’s latest book was reviewed…suffice to say, little survives.

Best wishes,

Mark.

7. My understanding is that the bulk of White Star's records were literally carted off to the nearest landfill sometime in the 1960's. Paul Louden-Brown was lucky to save what he did.

8. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

I used the that site for Britannic information. Unfortunately, it expired or something and now I can’t find another similar site with Britannic info

9. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

Oh, thanks!