Britannic's Marconi Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
Did Britannic have the same type of marconi installation as the titanic? What was differnt? And was Britannic marconi room completely explored?, (I have only seen one photo of the multiple tuner)

Mar 3, 1998
As best as we can tell from existing evidence, Britannic's Marconi Room was laid out similar to Olympic's retrofit configuration. Like Olympic (and unlike Titanic), Britannic had the operator controls for the transmitter in the Marconi Room. In addition, some of Britannic's wireless components were of a newer manufacture/revision than Titanic's, but they essentially served the same function. You may have also heard that a voice tube was installed between the bridge and Marconi Room in both Olympic and Britannic after Titanic sank. I'll describe the differences between the two layouts in my upcoming book on the Marconi apparatus.

The diver who found the Multiple Tuner in 2003 didn't recognise it for what it was and therefore didn't explore the immediate area. I can assure you that the next expedition will devote dive time to this area in an attempt to document Britannic's Marconi and Silent Rooms.

Parks

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Parks:
One feature of Britannic's Marconi installation that appeared different than Titanic's in photos is the cylidrical stack above the silent room. On top of Titanic's stack was the Bradfield insulator.
On Britannic the stack appears to be of a larger diameter. Also I can't definitively identify a Bradfield insulator atop the stack. I'm attaching a link to a photo of Fine Art Models interpretation of Titanic's stack. Obviously it is not correct. However, I don't know who said it but there was some speculation that they may have had drawings of Britannic's stack which they used to create this version. Have you seen anything like this and could it possibly be Britannic's stack configuration?
http://webpages.charter.net/bpread/photos/t48_0011_14.jpg

Regards,
Bob Read

Mar 3, 1998
Bob,

I'm not a believer in the cylindrical trunk. I have argued that Titanic's (and possibly also Britannic's) was square in cross-section. Unfortunately, the evidence on Titanic's roof is wiped out, leaving us with differing interpretations of the ANGUS imagery. Maybe the Britannic wreck will one day prove to hold the definitive answer.

I disagree totally with the FAM version. It makes no sense; the connection for the downleads is too direct and would put too much tension on the aerial. Also, the electrical connection bears no resemblance to anything I have ever seen in the Marconi Co. archives. I really have no idea where the information for the FAM version could have come from.

Parks

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
Hmm, good idea Parks. IMO, I'd love to see a good survey of the entire wreck done by Cameron. Britannic is still largely unexplored, and given the ship is on it's side, I am curious as to what the top decks look like if the ship was upright.

I'm trying to now make a wreck model of Britannic, but I am stuck with just the detail of the top decks, for one how do the funnel openings look?

Mar 3, 1998
>for one how do the funnel openings look?

I'll tell you when I see them, but I don't know if or when that will happen.

Parks

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
Well most images of the wreck show here and there spots on the exterior and mostly in the big tear in the forward well deck area. From the published wreck photos none show the roof of the officers quarters or the rest of the roofs of each deckhouse.

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
I wouldn't get my hopes up guys. There is so much marine growth that small details of almost everything are largely obscured. Compared to the Titanic, Britannic looks like a coral reef.
Plus we don't have any plans showing what changes were made in the conversion. We have some limited photos, a few plans of how RMS was to be but that is about all. Britannic is the toughest nut to crack of the three sisters.

Regards,
Bob Read

Status
Not open for further replies.