British Titanic Society Convention April 12th 14th 2002

Nov 22, 2000
Bookings for the above event will be taken on Thursday 5th July next. Anybody wishing to attend should contact The Hilton National Hotel, Southampton (Tel: 023 8070 2700) on that day.
You will need to book early as the places are usually filled by mid afternoon.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Ah Geoff, about that;

I don't suppose you've seen my BTS application lurking, anywhere? I sent off in April when I became jealous that you guys were having so much fun down in S'hampton:)

Nov 22, 2000
Ben, Send me your address by email please. We had problems around that time with somebody taking our mail from the PO Box, looks as though yours could be one of them.

Geoff

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Geoff,
I just wish it was this week! Patti and I are already excited about coming again. We can't wait.

Phil

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Ben,

Please advise Paul Rogers to get the gone wrong coffee ready. And don't tell Helen and Ethelbert, but I managed to sign up for the convention and may be out your way!

Hope to see you there!
Maureen.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
That's great news, Mo! Although, I gather Helen and Ethelbert may already be on to you. I was sent a list of attendees, and was delighted to see your name among them!

Coffee's brewing, although I'm reliably informed that the Hilton has steadfastly refused to sell the unique East Grinstead stuff....although for a substitute rat poison, they say it's pretty useful! I'll remind Paul to bring some along with him:)

Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else!

Best Regards,
Ben

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Maureen / Ben,

Great news. I'll dig out my thermos flask in readiness. If you ask nicely, I'll bring along a stale scone or two as well...

Regards,
Paul.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Great news, Mo! Looking forward to it already! Also meeting Ben, Paul and the others. I can hardly wait! (yeesh, I'm like a teenager...well,not if you look at my photo!)

Warmest regards,
Cook

A

Andrew Williams

For all the would be visitors from the United States. If your attending next years B.T.S.Convention, then I can assure you all you won't be dissapointed.

There is so much to see in such a short space of time. I'm not one hundred per cent sure, because I don't have the agenda for next year. However, I expect there's a strong chance your'll see the actual Ocean Dock where Titanic embarked on that Wednesday 10th April 1912.

Sadly the originally Ocean Dock Terminal was demolished in 1983 and that also includes the Harland & Wolff sheld's which were demolished roundabout 1985.

If you do book early then I would advise you to visit the pub called The Grapes which is situated down in Oxford Street, Southampton. This is where alot of Crew congregated just before the embarkation date.

No sooner you have finished with The Grapes, I would advise you to walk along that other famous landmark:- South Western House and turn left.
Once you've turned left your down Caunte Road and directly opposite, is the former White Star Offices. This is virtually where most of the Sotonians families gather to await the latest news about their love ones, notably the Crew families.

As for those who want to view the obituaries on the microfiche's, then I regret to say your viewing is limited to 1 hour only. This will have to be arrange seperately at the Archives in Southampton's main Civic Centre.

All in all, I hope I have managed to answer some of your questions. Good luck and kind regards to you all-Andrew Williams who resides roughly 10 miles away from the Port of Southampton U.K.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi,

Bit concerned here. When I booked for the BTS convention on 5 July I was told I would receive confirmation of my reservation two weeks from then. Nothing's come through yet and it's now mid-August.

Anyone else on the same boat?

Ben

Nov 22, 2000
Ben, The Hilton are a law unto themselves regarding letters of confirmation. Their "this week" usually means "next month". Don't worry, you are down on the list...I've checked. Hotel is full and we have a waiting list of about thirty to forty people - I'd better get organising events pronto!

Geoff

Apr 7, 2001
Geoff,

I just posted on another thread that I'd be attending the World Convention but now I am so confused as to which Convention to attend next year 2002. As I understand it, BTS 2002 is fully booked, right? If this is so, then maybe I'll only have one choice but to attend the World Convention in Belfast. But aside from that Geoff, do you know how the BTS and World Conventions differ from one another?

Teri

P.S. Anyone else can chime in too, if they like.

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Teri, I was sent the programme for the Belfast Convention which looks as though it will be good.
They have some interesting guest speakers - but then again, so do we! The Belfast one would seem rather expensive at a cost of £285 compared to our £170. Delegates at Belfast are spread between six hotels whilst ours are in one. Then again, in Belfast you get four days, in Southampton only three. Both Conventions appear to be very different. You can check out the Irish Web Site on:www.titanic2002.org

Nov 22, 2000
Hello Michael,

We always welcome our overseas friends to the BTS, Subscription charges for USA members are $20 per year which buys four quarterly issues of the Society's magazine "Atlantic Daily Bulletin".
Most overseas members pay in cash (perfectly safe if well wrapped and mailed to us) because U.K. banks, like everywhere else it seems, charge a hefty amount for clearing overseas cheques.
We do not have a web site because all of the Officers simply do not have the time to operate one. Thanks for your interest Michael, if you need to know anything else, please feel free to contact me at my private email address.

Geoff

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Hello Mike S,

Thought I would put in a plug for the BTS
here. Anyone who has dealt with this
organization knows it is run by generous,
and professional people. The quarterly, the
Atlantic Daily Bulletin is thorough, and
most importantly prompt in its delivery!
I have been pleased and honored to be
a member of the BTS for a little over 10
years.

Regards,

Brian Meister

PS Really enjoyed St Patrick's Day with
all of you guys!