British Titanic Society Convention April 12th 14th 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geoff,

I just posted on another thread that I'd be attending the World Convention but now I am so confused as to which Convention to attend next year 2002. As I understand it, BTS 2002 is fully booked, right? If this is so, then maybe I'll only have one choice but to attend the World Convention in Belfast. But aside from that Geoff, do you know how the BTS and World Conventions differ from one another?

Teri

P.S. Anyone else can chime in too, if they like.

Hi Teri, I was sent the programme for the Belfast Convention which looks as though it will be good.
They have some interesting guest speakers - but then again, so do we! The Belfast one would seem rather expensive at a cost of £285 compared to our £170. Delegates at Belfast are spread between six hotels whilst ours are in one. Then again, in Belfast you get four days, in Southampton only three. Both Conventions appear to be very different. You can check out the Irish Web Site on:www.titanic2002.org

Geoff, just out of curiosity, what does it take for a Yank like me to sign on as a member of BTS? Apparently, it doesn't have a website, and I'm interested.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hello Michael,

We always welcome our overseas friends to the BTS, Subscription charges for USA members are $20 per year which buys four quarterly issues of the Society's magazine "Atlantic Daily Bulletin".
Most overseas members pay in cash (perfectly safe if well wrapped and mailed to us) because U.K. banks, like everywhere else it seems, charge a hefty amount for clearing overseas cheques.
We do not have a web site because all of the Officers simply do not have the time to operate one. Thanks for your interest Michael, if you need to know anything else, please feel free to contact me at my private email address.

Geoff

Hello Mike S,

Thought I would put in a plug for the BTS
here. Anyone who has dealt with this
organization knows it is run by generous,
and professional people. The quarterly, the
Atlantic Daily Bulletin is thorough, and
most importantly prompt in its delivery!
I have been pleased and honored to be
a member of the BTS for a little over 10
years.

Regards,

Brian Meister

PS Really enjoyed St Patrick's Day with
all of you guys!

Inger Sheil

It's all that Brian says above...

And you get 2 am Jazz renditions of 'Eternal Father Strong to Save' on the lounge's piano at the Annual Convention.

What more can any more reasonable person want...?

Looking forward to seeing you all again there next year.

~ Inger

Former Member
~Inger wrote: Looking forward to seeing you all there next year.

Me too, and personally I can't wait to see Mr Findlay, Mr Gowan, Mr Meister, our lovely Inger, and last but not least Uncle Buster(Pat Cook.)

Yours Friendly-Andrew W.

Thanks all for the information. I'll pass on the sing-a-long, but the journal looks like something worth having. The more info and research I can get my hands on the better.
happy.gif

Brian; I hope we can meet again sometime soon! Maybe we can get Inger and Geoff and a few others to come to whatever soiree is planned.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Inger Sheil

Andrew -

In your case, I'm looking forward to meeting you face to face for the first time! No better place for a confab about the crew than Southampton - especially when one of us is a local. This time I'm hoping to be less of a damp dishcloth, although I'm certain that there were many who were relieved to find the respiratory tract infection/nastybad cold had robbed me of speech.

Mike - I'm always up for a soiree - just let me know if it's BYOG.

~ Ing

All - Thanks for your kind comments regarding the BTS Journal and Convention. The 2002 Convention promises to be an interesting one, my colleague and great friend Steve Rigby will be recounting his recent dive to the Titanic (which should ensure an early night for many delegates!)we have many guest speakers lined up plus one extra special one courtesy of our dear friend Phil Gowan. Great effort will be made by the Officers to ensure that our esteemed Webmaster Hind keeps his clothes on this time - although it's a good way to break up any party!

C

Christine Geyer

Haaaaarrr !!! Finally I DID it
proud.gif
!!!

Geoff, my letter to you is on it's way - I'm so much looking forward to seeing you all !!! (Shall I bring the playback from "My heart will go on" ???)

Christine

Inger Sheil

Christine -

We can expect you over here in April?? Absolutely splendid! I shall make sure, in that case, that I bring down all the Moody material I promised to show you (unless you can be persuaded to stop over in London as well?). I seem to remember that a version of MHWGO was caterwauled alongside more conventional Titanic-associated hymns, but it would make a tremendous difference to the eardrums of bystanders to have a truly talented singer such as yourself there.

~ Ing

C

Christine Geyer

Ing, I'll stop anywhere you want me to
happy.gif
!! I'm going to send you a mail about that.

We're going to sing it together, in chorus with Geoff and Cookie, because when we are a number of singers it will not be notable that I leave out the dangerous and *bloodoutofmythroatspirting* last verse (..."there's <FONT COLOR="ff0000">NOOoOOoOOoOOoOOoTHING I fear"...) and I can keep the legend of the truly talented singer alive
proud.gif
. Or let's do it after the 7th glass of whatever (prepare me: I'm not used to drink ale or beer at all. What do you have in reserve there on the isle then for a celebrate-willing german groaner ?) Anyway I can't wait to hear it being sung by a chorus of passionate Titanic enthusiasts. I'm sure even Celine would be impressed by this.

Christine

Andrew--those others may be "Mr." I'm just plain old Phil.

It does my heart good to see all the excitement that the British Convention generates. In my mind's eye, I see the busy lobby of Saturday mornings and the multinational Titanic buffs grinning and having the greatest of times. But nothing can outdo the friendliness and grinning faces of the Whitfields, Ticehursts, Rigbys, Robinsons and Hills. The sense of "belonging" you all have created is probably the reason the Hilton sells out within a few hours and any thread about the convention on forums like this generates lots of comment--all positive. Geoff--maybe you guys should have one convention a quarter :).

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.