Broken Rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2000
A lot has been written and conjectured about the rivets in Titanic's hull. It turns out that rivets were a problem for all ships. I found the following material in a book about Great Lakes Ships. It was published in 1910, so is contemporaneous with Titanic. The author is describing the bending and twisting of a ship's hull caused by a major storm:

...the working of her plates had cut thousands of the steel rivets fastening the plates together, and several hundred pounds of the rivet heads were taken from her hold.

That was taken from "Our Inland Seas" by James Cooke Mills, published by A.C. McClurg & Co. (Chicago) in 1910 and reprinted by Freshwater Press, Cleveland, OH in 1976.

Apparently, icebergs weren't necessary to cause rivet problems.

--David G. Brown

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Captain Brown,

As a side note you may be interested in talking Captain Harry Anderson from the S.S. William G Mather he has relayed several stories to me on this very subject. He relayed stories such as seeing the ship twist having the bow leaning on way and looking aft along the cargo deck as seeing the after deck house and stack leaning the other way.

Erik

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
No Beverly sorry, just a fellow Captain that I know. He has been retired for some 24 years now.

Erik

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I am sure that he would not really care. However it would appear as though you are the only one interested.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.