Brooke (Mrs. Vincent) Astor

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
This thread replaces an old one which existed until yesterday, but was apparently lost during the board outage last night. This message duplicates one that I posted to the now-lost thread yesterday before it disappeared.

Brooke Astor, the widow of Vincent Astor (son of JJA and Ava Willing) is the subject of a pending court proceeding in which her grandson alleges that she is being abused by her son. Google's collection of news stories relating to this appears here.

Mar 15, 2001
Apparently Brooke Astor 104 (John Jacob Astors daughter in law)is being neglected by her 82 year old son and is living in squalor conditions in NYC. She has just been admitted to the hospital according to latest reports.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

God! Terrible news. I don't want to lose other person with Titanic's connection.

Best, João

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one immediately above it, originally posted as a separate thread under a different topic, have been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Agreed, what a horrible and sad story this is. The thing is though, as noted in the ABC News article in the link that Mark posted, these things have happened a lot and continue to happen, but we just don't hear about it enough, that's the problem. A local TV station did a full report on elderly abuse last year and it was unbelievable how seniors are treated by their family members and caregivers.

The poor woman has to suffer in filth, after she gave a majority of her fortune to arts and culture, and did notable work; it's disgraceful.

Feb 24, 2004
Brooke Astor, New York socialite and philanthropist, and widow of John Jacob Astor's eldest son Vincent, has died at the age of 105.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20252428/

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-esisting thread about Brooke Astor. MAB]

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
oops - I was typing too fast - it was JJA's Oldest son Vincent....
happy.gif

[Moderator's note: This post and the one above it, were originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, but have been moved to the pre-existing one which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hi Michael - Oh I have still been here - just mainly reading. Over the last couple of months I have been "reading" some well let me put it this way - some "interesting" discussions going on in different parts of this forum. Entertaining!
happy.gif
Hope all is well with you - Beth
happy.gif

Jan 29, 2001
I first heard of the passing of Brooke Astor via Brian Williams Ch. 4 news at 5:30 last night.
Preceding that report was, as Mr. Williams telecast..."Another kind of a cold war". Pertaining to the control of the North Pole's 1/4 of the world's oil supply. The telecast also showed video of the MIRS along with the assertion of the claim being erected at a 3-mile depth. It seems that the United Nations will have the final word on this *land* dispute.

It gave me the chills to view the MIRS video who were so instrumental in research of TITANIC...shortly followed by the story pertaing to B.Astor...a TITANIC desendant.

As with the LORD, TITANIC also works in mysterious ways!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I turned 40 a couple of months ago and now EVERYTHING is going to heck!!!<<

Look on the bright side, youth and energy shall not overcome age and treachery!

Still, what I wouldn't give to have the energy of a two year old, the libido of an 18 year old, and the wisdom of a sage. Since the first two are a bit unrealitic, I'll have to try for the third option and make the best of it.