BTS 2005

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Just wondering if anyone is interested in doing Southampton with me next BTS meeting, as I've only been there once and didn't really get out of the hotel much.

G

Graham Pickles

HI Lee

I wold love to meet up with you in Southampton. Not been to the hotel before as last time was banned. But look forword to meeting up with you and yours.

Graham

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I know
happy.gif

Paul

Dec 8, 2000
I'd lay good money that it's in April too. ;)

{*flails around uselessly, looking for the ADB to check if it's the second or third weekend in April...*}

Sorry Paul, I can't find it. If you're interested in attending it's a good idea to get onto it. I can still remember the disappointment a few years back of finally sorting out some leave possibilities only to learn that the last places were long, long gone.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Paul :)

Be brilliant if you could come along - it's a fantastic weekend. As usual a whole range of activities and outings have sprung up around the main event - There's a large group of the usual suspects pulling the plans together for meetings in London and an extended Southampton stay. There are a few more ambitious plans afoot this year as well for 'extensions'. I know you're not a big Texas Embassy fan, but that's become something of a tradition...we can do another Brick Lane on another night
happy.gif
. A bit of raan-taaning around Soton is obligatory - there are usually a couple of dinners, and trips to Titanic-related and other local sites (and some odd by-ways - a group of us once spent a couple of hours sifting through vintage postcards in a shop not far from 'Cobwebs').

It's promising to be a great event - there are some old mates coming from the US for the first time who are absolutely sensational, and I might have another couple of Aussies in tow (including Jill). You may finally have that chance to sit down and talk Californian with Molony. And some of the material that's going to be on display in 05 will be very special indeed...

The bookings opened on the 8 July - might need to get in touch with Geoff about it if you plan on attending. Drop me an email and I'll keep you up to date with how we're planning the other activities.

Fi - no chance of you joining the Caravan of Aussies next year, is there?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The BTS is very accomodating with non-members, Desiree, particularly when there's room (although membership is a great idea anyway!). It does sometimes book out very quickly, though, so you might be best off contacting Geoff Whitfield (ttatp@blueyonder.co.uk) to check availability.

It's a tremendous amount of fun, and a great group of people to see Southampton with (and London too, if you're of the inclination!). You'd be welcome to join the Australian Contingent for the flight over - we've done a bit of travelling together together in our day!

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Just found out some BTS 2005 details from the Soton Hilton. The event is the 8th and 9th of April; the cost for those two nights is £188, which includes b&b friday night dinner, saturday night gala dinner, Sunday lunch. Cost of an extra night on Thursday is £99; Sunday night is £50 (these are for single occupancy by the way).

Payment is required by 31/1/5. The cost covers entry to the BTS event, with the exception of the auction, which costs c.£15.

HTH

Paul

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hope that means you'll be trundling along, Paul! Desiree, there's interest from other Oz enthusiasts as well, so we might make up quite a contingent. The British Museum was a block away from where I worked for years - I used to toddle over there during my lunches and go through it Gallery by Gallery - it has always been impressive, but some of the refurbishment work is quite dazzling - reminds me in many ways of the open spaces in the Metropolitan Museum in NY.

Jan 5, 2001
I'm sure April 2005 will be upon us very soon -- it will seem like it, anyway.

Geoff kindly helped me make hotel arrangements, so I'll be attending in four months' time. My plans don't get derailed *every* year!
wink.gif

Meanwhile, Happy New Year to everyone -- it's going to be 2005 very soon!

Best wishes,

Mark.

H

Harriet Collingham

Would love to come, but most likely work commitments will keep me from attending (as I'll need all my "holiday" around exam time) By 2006 maybe I'll manage it!
and the new year is sneaking up very fast now - wishing you all the best for it!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hope to see you in 2006 if not before, Hattie! I'll keep you up to date with planned gatherings.

Mark, I'm absolutely delighted that we're going to see you there.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, will have to plan to be in Southampton, for the BTS, in either 2006 or 2007; this year, for me, is out of the question.
It will be great, though, to hear about this years' activities.