BTS 2006

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

Am looking forward to the pix and all the details of the BTS convention-tell us all we missed! And how did the intrepid South Pole trekkers fare?

S

Senan Molony

Alas - one of our trekkers is lost and she may be some time...

D

David Haisman

Hello Paul Rogers,

Many thanks for the Shell Tanker book which was an excellent read. Although there wasn't a picture of my old ship the ''Niso'', there were excellent pictures of the ''N'' class of tanker which was much the same. That ship took up 18 months of my life tramping around the far east and when I got home I was so hungry they thought I was whistling.
At the convention I met one of my old bosuns from a banana boat called the ''Zent''back in the 1950's. Along with another old Liverpool sea dog, we had a few beers and terminated our chat when once again, the back teeth were awash!

Thanks again old mate and I shall look forward to meeting up with you again some time
All the best,

David

Hello Hattie,

I do remember you and my opologies for not getting back to you sooner. I hope you had a great convention and met many friends.
When the BTS make concessions for pensioners I may even stay for the dinner if given permission of course however, it was nice to meet you.

Best Wishes ,
David

H

Harriet Peel

David - not a problem!
My rarely-seen other half paid for us to attend the gala dinner (we were staying at another hotel, the Liner.)
It was a pleasure to meet you
Happy

Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers

Hello David.

I'm really pleased you're enjoying the book, mate. I haven't as yet had a chance to listen to the CD you gave to me - thanks very much indeed, by the way! - but I'm hoping to find some spare time for it this weekend. I'll let you know what I think!

Hope we can meet again in the not-too-distant future for a longer chat.

All the best,
Paul

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Righteo, then - I now have the photos in my hot little hands, and will commence posting on the BTS Epic, Liverpool, 2006.

Must first of all issue apols that so many are missing from this - none of you, for example, David...so no evidence we did manage that pint together after all (or, come to think of it, I don't think I did have a drink in hand). Fortunately, I had Hattie as an obliging model for many of these.

We'll have to go back a bit first, though...to when I first merrily returned to blighty the weekend before, on 15 April.

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

BTS 2006 - Liverpool (or, 'Another Day, Another Michal Negrin Outfit')

What I did on my School Holiday, by Inger Sheil

(Photo of self, courtesy Ian Huntly, Friday 23 April)

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Arrived London Heathrow. Tears of joy shed on return (no, really!). More tears when I found my way onto the tube - ah, memories. Even the ads were the same. Raced down to Surry, where I was met by Jemma and Christine bearing a welcome pack of Pro Plus tablets. This was because I was not, they informed, going to sleep that day. Dumped bags at flat, rushed back into town. Made it on special Fraulein Geyer mission (Yes! We have no bananas!), then on to Portobello Rd markets. Stopped briefly for fish and chips (a grave mistake, we later found out):

Jemma (left) and Christine

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Back into Oxford St for one of the much missed Borders Bookshop sessions and more fortifying Frappachinos and Pro Plus tablets. Then on to the Texas Embassy, where Ben Holme and Oliver awaited.

Ben, in a notable first, was not late.

L-R: Christine, Self, Ben, Jemma and Oliver

Didn't get back until after midnight, which means...goodness knows how many hours straight that I was awake.

I'm buying shares in Pro Plus

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Stop winding me up, Sen - I'll get to you in a sec!

So, next day I was on a private mission (my now notorious 'Michal Negrin Meltdown'), while poor Christine was under the weather.

Monday was a sad goodbye to the Favourite Fraulein

(Inger to the right, already wearing the right uniform for Week Two)

Then Jemma and I went up to London, where I narrowly missed my oldest childhood mate (an architect in Berlin) and a very dear friend out at Kew. Curses, foiled again!

However, I did experience a very happy reunion with the Peshwari Naans of Brick Lane.

As the waiter walked away with my order, Jemma mused aloud if he had really got the message from me - i.e., that he was to produce the biggest Peshwari Naan in history to go with my chicken tikka korma.

For this photo, I could have embraced my two dear mates, sitting either side. Instead, I chose to caress my beloved naan. They said they completely understood.

Jemma, Self, Ben

Ben was given the opportunity to convert me to his pet ripper theory along the way, then as we said goodbye to Jemma and her family, we kicked on for one of our old fashioned Leicester Square Pub Sessions, reliving the days of old when we'd pop out to Colindale then out for drinks. Ben upheld the rest of the tradition by needing to run for the last train, already sitting on the platform with doors closing when we ran for Charing Cross.

I walked with happy ghosts back to my hotel.

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Pushing on, I zapped over to visit Hatts - this photo, of self in front of the White Cliffs of Dover, is presented in order to provide proof of how extensive zig zagging of England was.

No doubt I'm humming 'There'll always be an England' or something along those lines.

I had a fateful conversation with Hattie on the way to the station, lamenting the fact she wasn't going to be in Liverpool with us...

Then we edit a bit out of the saga as I visited folks none of you know!

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Finally, on the afternoon of Thursday 22 April, I made it into Liverpool (after a crossing from the opposite side of the Island). Dumped bags, and made a bee line for the hotel bar that was open.

Unsurprisingly, the gathering had begun. Saw Senan, belly up to the bar, first thing. Nikki and her lovely partner and a few others were in evidence. Patrick and Boz were sighted...it was all good! Lots of joyful reunions, and a pint. Or two. Or three. Which is why Senan and I were late for meeting Geoff Whitfield for dinner.

Dinner, to my delight, was more Peshwari Naan (and a few other things...might have had Korma. I'm sure the blokes had something blokey. And, of course, Cobras!).

Liverpool wouldn't be the same without Geoff - there is no one more free of malice yet more intimately entwined with the threads of the 'Titanic' community. He was missed at the convention, and I'm very glad we had the chance to catch up with him.

Saturday morning, and I was sitting in the lounge chatting to Ian Huntly when up rose a most unexpected voice:

"YOU! You are impossible to get ahold of!"

It was Hattie, who - with her adoring and adorable partner, Steve, had made the last minute dash to be there - had failed in all attempts to convince the hotel to leave a proper message for me. Anyway, joyful hugs, and we set out with Senan to explore the waterfront and Merseyside Maritime Museum.

Hattie, with Liverbuilding in background.

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

More shots - I have an embarrassment of riches from which I can select these:

Senan and Hattie at the 'Lusitania' prop - a particularly apropos photograph, given Senan's superlative book about the Irish connections to the tragedy.