BTS Convention 68th April 2001

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible at the BTS convention April 6-8

There's always a huge auction on the Friday run by Aldridge's...

Henry Aldridge and Son

Press Release from Last Year's Auction

I'm not sure what's going to be there this year but they usually have passenger and crew letters, last year there was one from Charles Hays, another from cashier Ruth Bowker, as well as furniture and other items from the Olympic and other ships. All way out of my price range!

On the Saturday there are sales and exhibitions tables. Last year ET had a table and I was pretty exhausted afterward! We had a lot of interest and this year will hopefully be just as busy.

If you are going to be at the convention do please come and introduce yourself remember to bring a beer with you, I'll need to be kept tanked stocked up!

Phil

Dec 12, 1999
Phil-
I understand Alan Ruffman is one of the guest speakers at that. If you could pass on the following nos. of excerpts from Arthur Rostron's British Inquiry testimony from me (just the numbers, that's all): 25477-25483, I would appreciate it. Also, if you manage to find the time, please post a synopsis of his presentation. I think it would be interesting. Thanks.

Nov 22, 2000
Lots of goodies in the Aldridge's auction again this year, more Olympic panels etc. plus an absolute gem of a find - a Titanic pin cushion bought on board the Titanic together with a letter of authentication by the purchaser (Father Browne) expected price £40 to 60 thousand pounds but hoping for more - we will see!
Bring all your loose change boys and girls!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'm afraid that my purchasing abilities are somewhat limited. I'll have to restrict myself, as usual, to items from non-WS lines that have associations with Titanic crewmen. Always fun to poke around, though.

I shall make certain I re-introduce myself to you, Phil, with either a bottle of Bacardi Spice or a Guinness in hand.

Dec 2, 2000
I wonder if these guys are behaving at the BTS thingy. Hmmmmmmm.

If you get this in time Geoff, just wanted to ask if you would get that Ethelbert Humperdinck Opera Score for me and also, I never instructed Alma to remove the guinness from your hand luggage.

Say hello to Fred and Ginger for me!
Maureen.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Maureen.

My daughter (Emma) and I have just got back from the Open Day at the convention. Ran out of cash believe it or not (how embarrasing) and had to leave sharpish as Emma was beginning to faint through lack of food!

Seeing all that Titanic-related stuff in one place was like going back in time.*

All-in-all, it was a damn good day. It was a genuine pleasure meeting Phil, Geoff and many others - I felt somewhat over-awed to tell the truth!

Regards,
Paul.

*(Funny enough, I bought a time machine in two weeks' time. Didn't work very well though...it broke down tomorrow. They don't make 'em like they're going to!)

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Paul,

Glad you enjoyed the convention! Had I got my act together sooner I would have joined the BTS in time for the convention (SIGH). Anyway, I was busy passing theory tests (33 out of 35!) amongst other things:)

That ridiculous road sign (car falling into sea) indicating the proximity of a quayside made me think of you!

Ben

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Paul, you and Emma left Geoff and Phil alone. Oh no!

Glad you had fun. Hope Emma enjoyed herself.

Maureen.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Ethelbert, I just wanted to say...

"YOU ARE MY HEART OF THE OCEAN"

(Someone pass the bucket please)

----

Full account of the proceedings, to follow.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Bouncers on the Door
Mr er er... what did you say your name was?
Geoff (Ethelbert - don't ask me why) and Brian Ticehurst

Auction 1, Auction 2. Aldridges battle loons leaning on the lights and mobile phones going off at inopportune moments.

Brian Meister, Phil Gowan and Senan Molony
The Coca Cola corporation contemplate a carbonated drinks factory in Dublin.

Millvena signs books

Cobwebs - Peter Boyd Smith
Auction stuff surfaces, only not so cheap this time.

Brian Ticehurst - Luscious Blond!

Günter Bäbler selling some very odd stuff!

Sales and Exhibits Tables

No Claes, for the 68th time, I don't want to buy your book.

Tables

Neat wreck model by Stuart Williamson

Mike Findlay

The ET table
Madam, if I take your picture will you promise not to kiss me again?

Lars, Peter and Beer Glass

Please leave the Swedishman alone (Mandy Le Boutillier, Claes-Göran Wetterholm, David Hutchings)

Günter, Birgitte, Me, ?, John Young, Claes, Andreas, Peter, Markus Frutig, Lars.

Claes, Millvena, Bruno

Oh, lots of people

Millvena, surrounded

Geoff, Phil G., Patti, Brian M.

Jack and Charlie seem intent on sending us home in stitches

Ocean Dock, South Western Hotel, big mother of an ugly autofreighter

Aurora (these lifeboats have mini-bars)

Cap'n Geoff and Wreath

Phil G., Wreath and Child - remember to let go.

The end of the trip

Attachments

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Thought I'd ad my $.02 on the Convention. As usual, a fun time had by all. The Brits were their usual friendly selves and went out of their way to see to it that we all enjoyed ourselves. Patti and I arrived in Southampton on Thursday afternoon and got checked in to the Hilton--Brian Meister got there not long after and then the three of us met for dinner at a very nice restaurant called La Marghurita at the Town Quay. Joining us were Quartermaster Hichens' granddaughter Brenda, her husband Terry and their daughter Wendy. We probably spent 4 hours eating and talking and had a great time getting to know each other and discussing the old quartermaster. His descendants are very nice people and Wendy is spectacularly beautiful. Old Robert would be proud of his progeny. The next morning Brenda came by the hotel for Brian and me and took us to see the Hichens graves in a Hampshire cemetery.

On Friday Patti opted to go shopping with the Whitfield girls and Brian and I attended the big auction--I was especially happy to win the final postcard written to Janet Dowding by her sister Clear Cameron in 1913. It will find its proper place among my most revered Titanic stuff (and I may need to float a loan to survive financially).

Friday night six of us went to "The Old House" restaurant in Wickham and had a great multi-star dinner and good conversation. Saturday was a big day at the hotel, wandering through all the various displays and looking for something irresistable to buy. The place was jam packed and we spent time visiting and getting family information from descendants of passengers and crewmen like Peter D. Daly, Harry Noss, T. H. Kemp, Albert Hebb and "Ginger" Hunt. Patti, Brian and I had lunch (great chicken curry and "cottage pie") at a pub called the Pensioner's in downtown Southampton. Then it was a full afternoon of visiting with the Hichens clan again. Brenda was quite the celebrity and I think totally enjoyed being asked for her autograph and getting her photo taken. The "Encyclopedia Titanica Group" all sat together in the main restaurant for the Saturday night banquet. At the table were Shane Kurup, Brian Meister, Ed Coghlan, Inger Shiel, Phil Hind, Senan Molony, Patti Cooper and myself. During the dinner Shane got to meet and be photographed with Millvina Dean and I think I didn't see anyone more excited about anything during the entire weekend.

At the evening raffle Patti won one of the big prizes--a free weekend (complete with personal chef) in one of the new exclusive condos at the top of the old Southwestern Hotel in Southampton. We'll use that on our trip to the next convention next year--and it has a view of the docks and we'll be able to imagine what it would have been like to watch Titanic sailing away from Southampton. Both of us are really thrilled over it.

Sunday we all went for a ride up the Solent River and then Patti, Brian and I stopped by to look around at "The Grapes." A big group of us sat around in the bar most of the afternoon and had a big Titanic talk and that evening we had dinner with one of crewman Hebb's relatives.

And, sadly, we headed home on Monday. It was another highlight in our "Titanic" lives and we really appreciate everything that Geoff Whitfield, Brian Ticehurst, Steve Rigby and others did to make it happen. Now if April 2002 will just hurry up and get here---

Phil

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
These from Phil Gowan

Brian and Patti

Hichens' granddaughter Brenda, Noss's daughter Peggy, and Hebb's grandson Bill.

Hichens' granddaughter Brenda and Millvena Dean

Shane Kurup

Phil and Patti with Hichens' granddaughter Brenda and her husband Terry

Crewman Sedunary's son Sid, Hichens' granddaughter Brenda and Ed Coghlan.

The lovely Inger with the even lovelier Phil Hind

Geoff and Alma Whitfield, Phil H., Brian, Phil G. Inger

Attachments

K

Karen Sweigart

Thank you so much Phil for the pics!! I feel like I was there after looking through them. Milvina looks great and seems to be really enjoying herself. It was nice to see pics of you Phil and the other people whose names I see on the board. Now I faces to go with the names I see. Thanks again for posting the pics. Karen

Dec 12, 1999
Who is the cute, smiling lady at the ET table, and is that a coffee cup or a collection pot situated next to the computer monitor? Any new revelations at the convention? Did Alan Ruffman speak, and if so, what did he have to say? Questions, questions...

Nov 22, 2000
Cute, smiling lady prefers to remain anonymous! She wasn't smiling half as much when she turned round and saw Hind's "begging bowl" masquerading as a coffee cup though. It's rumoured that our beloved leader was not only operating the E.T. site, but was also telling fortunes as a side line. Had I known about this before the complaints came pouring in, I would have charged him the thirty quid table rate!

Revelations a plenty at the Convention - not the least being that I was offered a dive to the wreck together with my colleague Steve. Mrs Whitfield has been noticed leafing through my life insurance policies and smiling - I do not know why.

Alan Ruffman gave his brilliant lecture and showed us some never before seen photographs which he had managed to get his hands on. These included the retrieval of the third class Syrian girl, whose identity is now open to debate, together with some really macabre photographs, illicitly snapped by crew members of the recovery vessels.

Phil H, Phil G, Patti Cooper, Brian Meister, Shane Kurup, Senan and Inger were all on their best behaviour, even though poor Inger was full of a nasty bout of flu and was constantly losing her voice (same could not be said for Senan!)

So, it's all over until next year - preparations are already underway!