BTS meeting April 11 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Hi I'm going to the BTS meeting in April in Southampton and was wondering who else was going to be there. This is my first Titanic convention so it's a bit scary & it's always nice to have a name or two you know.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo there, Lee - I'll be there, but then you already know that! (Llandrillo). Many other folks here will be as well - Geoff Whitfield of course, Jemma Hyder, Phil Gowan, Brian Meister, Ben Holme, the Cooks, Eric Sauder, Randy Bigham, Shelley, and any number of other top folks that I'm going to stop naming right now because I'll inadvertantly forget some...

Mar 20, 2000
Lee and All,

Glad you're coming, Lee. I look forward to meeting you as well as a whole host of other good people. It is also my first convention (of any sort) so I know what you mean about it's being scary. However, as Inger has said, everyone is top-notch. All those she listed -- and a few others that come to mind (Paul Rogers, for one)-- are fine, nice folks.

I'm curious to know who all else from ET is going to the BTS convention. I have heard different names mentioned as possibilities.

I know there are several of our friends here who aren't able to get away this time -- George Behe, Doug Willingham, etc -- and they will be much missed.

For those of us leaving early to do research, England is only a few weeks away. I'm so looking forward to the trip, even the threat of war doesn't worry me -- well, it does a little!

Randy

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
That's why I had to leave of naming people, Randy - inevitably, given my sieve-like memory, I'd forget people like Paul who should not be forgotten!

Ian Bland is another person who will hopefully be there. Delightfully, confirmation has just been received regarding Christine Geyer's arrival date as well (ready the Bailey's and bring out the brass band!).

Mar 28, 2002
My first convention too! I'm a bit nervy about it as well but I'm still going.

Threat of war doesn't stop me either. Off to Geneva in a couple of weeks, originally to watch the England v Liechtenstein football match but looks like we'll be going ski-ing and drinking with a load of cops and bodyguards instead. Funny how things turn out....

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 20, 2000
Hi Ing!

You were very kind to mention everyone. And you don't have a sieve-like memory. At least you had better not have! I am counting on you at least remembering ME in about three weeks!
happy.gif

Good to hear that Ian and Christine are coming. I want to meet all these people I've been hearing so much about.

Boz,

I am very glad to know you will be there. I look forward to meeting you and hearing more tales of your exciting (and catastrophic!) European adventures! Also please know my thoughts are still with you in your recent loss.

Randy

J

Jemma Hyder

Lol, as far as Christine, aka Dru, is concerned I'm cracking open the Garlic too... the only question is does Long Island possess enough baileys for the duration of her time in Sutton?

Boz, if you survived the Embassy last year the convention will be a doddle!

Randy & Lee,

Looking forward to meeting you
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Whoops...and there's Boz - another reason not to reel off a list of names for fear of leaving folks off! Jemma is of course correct: after our efforts at the Texas Embassy, you'll be well primed to be part of the 2 am Can-Someone-Lend-Me-Their-Roomcard-So-I-Can-Buy-The-Next-Road brigade.

Randy who? Ooohhhhh...that Randy! It vaguely comes to mind...future running partner for Hampstead Heath!

We can always hood Dru up to intravenous supplies of Baileys, Jemma!

D

Deleted member 173198

Hey Inger, you still owe me a drink from last year and 'yes' the usual 'pollution, pollution-confirmation' as I'll be smoking like an industrial-chimmey.

Ing Ssshhh, watch Hind come wizzing on this board like the 'Tasmanian Devil, condemning me the health hazard.

Cheers see ya soon, hopefully!

Andrew W.

Mar 20, 2000
Inger wrote: "Randy who? Ooohhhhh...that Randy!"

Yep, Randy. That's me. In name only, that is! Too early here to get real randy ...

Looking forward to the jogs. Can we run by Keats' house?

Hi Jemma - can't wait to meet you! Alas, your reputation for hijinks and general trouble has made it even into the wilds of Texas.

Andrew - I suppose you're hinting at a BTS ambush of your own?

Cheers to all!
Randy

Hi Everyone,

I will be there. I just reserved my place and booked my flight yesterday. It'll be the first time I've been since 2000. Last year and 2001, I hung out in Belfast with the Ulster Titanic Society. It was quite an experience though, seeing where the ships were built and the beautiful wood work in Belfast City Hall a.k.a. the "stone Titanic". The Ulster convention runs in various locations in Belfast 19-26 April if you've got time to spare after Southampton. http://www.ulstertitanic.com/

Anyway, I thought I'd take in more of Southampton this time. I'm bringing a friend from Canada who I met in Belfast last year. My friend Peter Mitchell will also be there with his furniture from the Olympic. The weekend before, we will be touring the North of England to take in the main Olympic fittings sites. See the Olympic board for more info if you want to join us for a tour of a very interesting site which has the gymnasium now under going redevelopment.

Will Eaton and Haas be again this year? I was lucky enough to get to sit next to Jack Eaton at the dinner in Belfast last year. He was a very entertaining and nice old guy. In fact, is there anywhere you can get a programme?

See you all there!

Stuart

D

Deleted member 173198

>>>Andrew- I suppose you're hinting at a BTS ambush of your own? Who said anything about an ambush Randy.?? I didn't!!!!

Stuart-ask Geoff Whitifeld for a programme as they are usually on sale from the Friday onwards.

A.W.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Good to see you'll be joining us in Southampton, Stuart! And Andrew, I didn't include you on the original list for reasons you know
sad.gif
Good to see that can be revised!

Randy, we can run past Keat's house (I'll have to look up it's location though! Although we'll have to have a pint in the Spaniard's Inn, where he once wrote poetry in the beer garden), the site of Andrew Marvell's cottage, a house where Dickens lived, and - best of all, and part of my regular run and walk to work - the house where A E Housman wrote A Shropshire Lad.

J

Jemma Hyder

"Your reputation for hijinks and trouble..."

Randy - Don't believe a word the Australian says. Lies, it's all lies lol.

Inger - dru's drip sounds like a good idea, but I want one too! How many points is a Bailey's again lol.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
To all attending said convention, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this.

I'll be bringing (all things being equal), thanks to Sir Randy Bigham, a newsreel, entitled "The Titanic Disaster". Not the event, mind you, but the press covering in 1958 at the Odeon theater of "A Night To Remember".

Those who remember the old newsreels may recall how they covered some eight to ten stories in a single episode. Consequently, this section is only 2 minutes long. HOWEVER, among those attending and seen are survivors Mr. and Mrs. Daniels, Charlotte (Collyer) Dutton, Steward Alfred Pugh and (you guessed it) Lawrence Beesley, who speaks! - Well, only two sentences. Also, Steward Pugh has a few words as well. The rest is taken up with a brief (but inaccutate) bio of the ship and such changes which have taken place since 1912 AND Sir Kenneth More, who plants a kiss on the cheek of Sylvia Lightoller.

Again, it's very short but grand to watch.

Best regards,
Cook

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
"Interested" isn't the word, Cook! How about 'I'll be there with bells on and a Bacardi Breezer in both hands'!!! What a superb find - onya Randy and the Cook.

Jemma, I only ever speak the gospel truth! You know I am the very soul of veracity.

Mar 20, 2000
Pat Cook wrote: "...and (you guessed it) Lawrence Beesley, who speaks! - Well, only two sentences..."

Two sentences in this case are like a volume, are they not? Seeing in motion and hearing the voice of a survivor as integral to Titanic's story as Beesley will be a huge treat!

Cook: "...AND Sir Kenneth More, who plants a kiss on the cheek of Sylvia Lightoller..."

Now that's a cool added touch.

Much looking forward to the screening.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.