Budget Battles

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Navy Times:

McCain eyes barring retirees from Tricare Prime
quote:

The congressional panel tasked with making deficit-reduction decisions is facing sharply conflicting views on whether military retirement and health benefits should be put on the chopping block.
More at http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/10/military-mcc ain-eyes-barring-retirees-from-tricare-prime-10251 1/

Comment: If anybody is wondering why more vets see Senator McCain as Public Enemy Number One, read this! (I don't see it that way. I don't like the proposal but it's either get the budget and the debt under control and get something, or let things go wild and get nothing.)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From SignOnSanDiego:

Admiral says Pacific forces may dodge cuts
quote:

United States forces in the Pacific may largely dodge the $400 billion budget cuts coming at the Pentagon thanks to $1.2 trillion in annual U.S. trade at stake in the South China Sea alone, and the challenge of China’s growing military might.
More at http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/24/adm iral-says-us-pacific-forces-may-dodge-budget-cu/

Comment: With the George Washington a possible near future casualty, I hope Admiral Willard doesn't get too cozy with this idea.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Navy Times:

Navy avoids most of Pentagon’s latest cuts
quote:

The U.S. fleet keeps its 11 aircraft carriers as well as its 10 air wings. About a third of the fleet of 22 cruisers – seven ships – will be decommissioned early. A number of shipbuilding programs or hulls will be pushed back, but not – apparently – killed. And there was no mention of reductions in any Navy aviation program.

All in all, as expected, no Navy program suffered a severe blow from the Pentagon’s 2013 budget-cutting ax.
More HERE

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina