Build the Titanic wooden model

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Anyone here has bought the model that come in weekly parts by Hachette? It costs S$4.95 per part here and its the first time I've seen it sold here. (The newsstand near my house sells it and its advertised on TV as well) The first package I bought wasn't too bad, and I know that in Britain, its already finished running or finishing so can anyone give me an idea on how many sets there are to complete the whole model?

Thanks!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Jeremy, Paul is correct. There are 100 issues. Have a look at the small print. You'll probably find that the first issue costs about half the price of each later issue. It's a very expensive way of getting a model. In Australia it cost more than $1,000 AUS. There's an old thread about it on this site.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Agreed, but by God, it is a beautiful model! My dad is making me one (gives him something to do now that he is retired!) and it is 75% done. It looks fantastic.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Great. the first issue is just out here, but as you buy it once every week or 2 weeks, you won't feel the pinch of the price yet.....

BTW, can anyone give me the link fot the thread here? Thanks!

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Jeremy,

Click HERE for the original thread on this topic.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 2, 1997
Hasn't this model surfaced before ? I seem to recall a first issue that had a picture on the front of a 1950's era dad, complete with pipe and cardie, looking terribly chuffed whilst admiring his completed model. Which would probably have taken as long as the original to build. It wasn't Hachette last time around though.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again..the market is wide open for a 'Build Your Own Iceberg' magazine - the perfect complement to this publication. Every week build your own iceberg using AUTHENTIC North Atlantic sea water, taken from somewhere vaguely near the wreck site (ie....the nearest beach...)and freeze in the comfort of your own home. In 5000 weekly parts. £20 each. A bargain.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, that one sounds like fair value but I'm up to issue 193 of 'Build your own cardie' and I still haven't collected enough coupons for the free pipe.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
When this model launched in the UK, I was one of many who made complaints to the trading standards and television comsumer affairs shows about it, due to the number of issues not being stated anywhere in the advertising; thus, you had no idea at all that the finished thing was going to cost you four hundred quid...the complaints were looked at on TV and for the most part upheld, too!

Other people had problems with getting their issues too, but that's another story.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Just out of curiousity, does anyone have a photo of what their finished "Build the Titanic" model looks like?

I collected all 100 issues back in the day and got probably a third of the way through building it but never completed it - I remember getting extremely frustrated that I couldn't get the wooden panelling to go in the right place with the tacks that I had. Still have it all tucked away somewhere, must complete it one day!

Cheers,
Adam.

Martin64

Feb 12, 2017
Just joined this forum. I built the Hachette Titanic, completed in February 2004. I have a descendant who worked ar Harland and Wolf when Titanic was being built, I unfortunately don't know anything about him.
Martin