Bulkhead collapse

Jul 8, 2018
Hello, i have heard that during the sinking one of Titanic's main bulkheads failed and collapsed, causing the compartment to be flooded and the ship to sink further, did this actually happen and is there any proof of it?

Also, if you wondering, i'm doing ok when it comes to COVID-19, lockdown and all that, i haven't come down with a cold yet and i hope i never

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
As far as I know, there’s not really solid evidence of this happening, but it’s possible. There were some reported “explosions” from deep inside as the forward boat deck swung down.

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
I doubt that the bulkhead failed. This has been the subject of conjecture for decades.
More likely that the coal bunker door failed, causing the flooding in the boiler rooms.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
This is why I want someone to make it down into the boiler rooms, because there are a lot of things that do not make much sense about Beachamp's testimony; and, while it may not represent a greater than 50% probability, the chances the bulkhead collapsed are large enough that it just cannot be ruled out entirely until someone looks.

Reactions: 1 users

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
This is why I want someone to make it down into the boiler rooms, because there are a lot of things that do not make much sense about Beachamp's testimony; and, while it may not represent a greater than 50% probability, the chances the bulkhead collapsed are large enough that it just cannot be ruled out entirely until someone looks.
Certainly, that is the only way that we'll ever know for sure.
But even if the evidence is there, you can bet that someone will argue that it was caused by 108 years of the ship settling and collapsing; so we'll in all probability never know the answer.

Nov 14, 2005
But even if the evidence is there, you can bet that someone will argue that it was caused by 108 years of the ship settling and collapsing; so we'll in all probability never know the answer.
Of course it would get argued about. Thats what Titaniacs do. But I could see where it could be a valid argument. With the ship breaking apart, hitting the seabed, corrosion over the years...ect. It would be almost guaranteed it would be argued about.

Reactions: 1 user

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Do you gentlemen actually believe that the court is going to allow any further disturbance of the wreck?

Nov 14, 2005
Being a somewhat cynical person on the legal system I could see a judge allowing it (for the right price) but in the end no I don't see it happenning with appeals courts and all. Too many people would raise hell about it. Of course thats just my belief on what I've seen in our system. I can't really comment on how the maritime and european courts work. I'm not familar with them. Maybe I should be. I think I still have an outstanding speeding ticket in Germany...o_O

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
Of course it would get argued about. Thats what Titaniacs do. But I could see where it could be a valid argument. With the ship breaking apart, hitting the seabed, corrosion over the years...ect. It would be almost guaranteed it would be argued about.
Then we agree.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Maybe; however, I am sure there is a metallurgical engineer or two out there who could, if the bulkhead does appear to be collapsed, give most likely causes of the type of failure observed.

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
Maybe; however, I am sure there is a metallurgical engineer or two out there who could, if the bulkhead does appear to be collapsed, give most likely causes of the type of failure observed.
That'd be nice...
Doubtful that it will ever happen.

Nov 14, 2005
I've read thru some of the old threads on this and the consensus I got if reading right from others who've studied it a lot more..ie..Paul Lee, Samuel Halpern, Michael Standart and many others who havent come here in a long time seem to lean toward the coal bunker door failing. Whats not clear to me is where the water in the bunker came from. Over the top from the preceding bulkhead or did that one fail? I need to look at the diagrams more to see if the water came from a different route...if there is any.

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
I concur.
"This condition shows the ship at 11:50, or 10 minutes past the collision. Water is already at 8 feet high in boiler room #6 and the coal bunker in boiler room #5 is filling. The mail hold is rapidly filling while holds #1 & #2 are following each other closely. "
This is taken from the attached Titanic Forensic Study, which by the way is most excellent!

Attachments

Nov 14, 2005
Thanks so much for posting that link. How in the hell did I miss that one. I downloaded it to go thru more later. My internet has gotten slow lately. Think they are throttleing bandwith here. Anyway thanks again!

P.S. just did a speedtest...half normal speed.

batman614u

Mar 6, 2020
I cannot take credit for it.
I found it on another site. Sadly I did not take down the name of the author as I thought that he would surely name himself in the paper which he does not. But the compiled information is absolutely fantastic, because it compile a number of theories all in one paper.

Nov 14, 2005
Well right at the beginning on the title page it says "Itstillthinking" . You know, the graphics extraordinare.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I found it on another site.
Or maybe in another thread here?

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Do you gentlemen actually believe that the court is going to allow any further disturbance of the wreck?
There is not a court that can stop it unless an expedition is slated to leave from the United Kingdom or the United States.

That's the thing about treaties 'protecting' ship wrecks in international waters. The protection of said treaty cannot be extended beyond the borders of the countries who are actual signatories.

And in any event, yes. I believe a court in said countries would approve a well thought out archaeological penetration of the wreck, as long as commercial salvage was off of the table...

But again, RMS Titanic Inc. can still do whatever they want as long as they sail from (and return to) a port outside of Great Britain or the United States, for example, from ports in Russia or France; both places with a history of partnering with RMS Titanic Inc's salvage dives.