Bulwark around the Poop Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I am curious as to why some of Olympic's poop deck railing was replaced by bulwark in the late twenties? (I assume it was during the 1927-1928 refit)What would be the purpose? I have also noticed that a walkway was installed that led across the aft well deck at some point. Does anyone know when this was done?

Brent

Dec 7, 2000
Brent,

That walkway wasn't permanent. I think there was always the possibility of putting it up, but I'm not sure. The earliest photo that I have seen it in was taken soon after Olympic returned to passenger service in July 1920, after the war.

Daniel.

94486.jpg

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Daniel,

How have you been :)

Wasn't this walkway on Olympic also used for access for second-class passengers to get to the poop deck when this area was divided up in the 1920s for use of second and tourist-class passengers? Or was it only used for crew?

Regards,

Nigel

Dec 7, 2000
Nigel,

As far as I know, in 1920 there were still only 3 classes and they were divided exactly as they were before the war. I don't really know who was allowed to use it. I guess it would have been mainly for the crew, as I doubt that 2nd and 3rd class passengers would have been allowed to mix.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.