Buried at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl Walter

Apr 6, 2010
I am new to this, so have patience with me. I see some victims and their personal effects are described, and then listed as buried at sea as opposed to in one of the cemeteries. Who buried them at sea? Were they found by various ships, the information gathered from the body, then buried at sea?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hey Cheryl, and welcome.

The ship that was sent out after the sinking to recover as many bodies as possible was the Mackay-Bennett. Even then they only found a portion of the victims - just over 300, I believe. Out of those, 116 were buried at sea because they were too badly decomposed to take on to Halifax, after the amount of time they had spent in the water.

Many of the victims taken to Halifax were never identified, although there has recently been a program designed to use modern techniques like DNA profiling to identify these remains, and there has been some success. I watched a show not so long ago where they identified a 13 month old boy who drowned with the ship.

There was also a second rescue ship called the Minia, but that only managed to recover a handful of bodies. Most of the victims were never found as their bodies had drifted away during the several days between the sinking and the arrival of the rescue ship, or else they had gone down with the ship.

Anyway, quite a sad subject, but I hope that helps you....

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Ah yes, forgot about Collapsible A.
It's unfortunate that between them, the Montmagny, Algerine, Carpathia and Oceanic only managed to find about 30 of the victims. One has to wonder what became of all the rest of the them who were never found.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Yes, as well as the fact that decomposition would have been quite quick in that sort of environment. Still, that doesn't include the lifebelts and other remaining wreckage from the ship that must have dispersed and/or eventually sunk after the sinking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.