Butler's WSL Prize and Scholarship Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
OK, all you high school students! I know you need extra money for college. What better way to earn up to a $500 scholarship than to write an essay about your favorite ship! Information about the scholarship is on the Titanic-Titanic Forum, or Dan's personal website, the Quill Driver Gazette.

Kyrila

H

Hillary Kidd

Kyrila,

Where did you find the link on Titanic-Titanic? I looked over the site, but couldn't find it. I have a friend who might be interested it this.

Thanks,
Hillary

T

Trent Pheifer

Kyrila,
Thank you so much for telling us about this. I could sure use the money for college! This will be great, an essay I will actually want to write!!! Hillary, this is the site:

http://www.rmstitanic.co.uk/

Thanks,

Trent

Jan 5, 2001
Dan's come up with a fine idea. I'm sure we can look forward to seeing lots of good projects. I'm a firm believer in the merits of History, as a personal study and academic qualification -- although the two are not mutually exclusive.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm a firm believer in the merits of History,<<

Indeed, so am I. A wise chap once remarked those those who don't learn the lessons of the past are condemned to repeat the same mistakes in the future. I've never seen anything which refutes that.

I know that people have a lot of sentiments regarding Dan Butler...some of them not flattering...but I like what he's doing here.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of quick questions about the contest. It says that the Minimum word count for the Advanced is 4,000.....do you think it is Ok that I went way over it? And is there a certain font and font size that has to be used? I did mine on the RMS Olympic all that I need to find is a title and a conclusion. It was a lot of fun. Is anyone else on the boards doing a project? What are you doing?

-Trent

Jun 4, 2000
Trent,
Alas, I cannot enter as I'm way over the age limit. Someone else will have to comment on that question.
happy.gif

I've just checked the guidelines and no font type or size is specified, nor is there guidance on maximum word count. It's all up to you.

As I work with this sort of thing, I'd suggest a standard font (ie Arial Sans Serif, Times New Roman) rather than an unusual one. Standard fonts are standard for good reason, including that they tend to be easier for the reader. I'd also suggest using a font size of 11 or 12, as even 10 starts getting a bit small for someone reading their way through pages and pages of manuscript (even if it is double spaced).

Being 'way over' the word count shouldn't be an issue (unless you're at 24,000 perhaps ;)). Whatever your word count is, I'd suggest a thorough re-read to check for redundancies, repetition or even areas that could be safely rephrased. This is the area in which most of the manuscripts and so on that I read tend to make the poorest impression. As the closing date is still almost 2 months off, you've got time to put your essay aside for a bit, then return to it with fresh eyes for a final run through before submission - depending on your other commitments, of course. Anyway, I hope you're able to do that.

Good luck with your title and conclusion. Let us know when you've submitted it so we can wish you the best again.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Fiona,

Thank you so much for the information! I did mine in Times New Roman, but I will have to change from ten font to 11 or 12. My report is not too far over lol, just about 4,000 words over. Thank you for the tips, they sure will come in handy! I will be sure to tell you when I send it out. Thanks again!

-Trent

Jun 4, 2000
Hey Trent,
Sounding good. Why not see if you can rev up some more competition with some of this board's 'Titanic teens'? I've just checked the conditions of entry again and it's open to international entrants, not just people based in the US.

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had heard who the winners were. In the competition info, it said the winners would be announced on Daniels site THe Quill Driver Gazette on April 15, 2004. It seems no one that I have talked to has heard anything about it. Just curious as to who won. Thanks!

-Trent

Apr 29, 2004
Update:

I emailed Dan personally a couple of weeks ago, and I've not heard anything, nor have I received a 'Quill Driver's Gazette' for some time.

A little worrying.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I guess it's possible/probable that the announcement date was put back. I hope that there is nothing wrong. Meanwhile, has anyone heard anything as of today?

Best wishes,

Mark.

Apr 29, 2004
Mark,

Heard nothing from DAB for some time, he
looks to have disappeared from the planet, much like the comp, which is a shame.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Andrew!

Thanks for the information. I do hope nothing is wrong, but perhaps we'll just have to wait and see what's up.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.