Cabin C-142

Ricky B

Apr 22, 2015
Hello everyone.

In the area of the aft grand staircase on c-deck there is a quite a small cabin, C-142 (probably one of the smallest I have seen in first class!). The deck plans show within this room quite a large 'H'.

Does anybody know what this 'H' is? It cannot be a heater as there is already one in the room. I am very intrigued as to what this actually is.

Any help will be most appreciated :)

J

Jack Dawson

Hi sir,

You have piqued my interest, but alas I have no answer for it. I find it interesting that it is bigger than the wardrobe, and half the size of a bed. Now I wonder what it is that I would see to my right on entering cabin C-142..

Good luck finding the answer! According to the Cave list, that cabin was occupied by Mr. Austin Partner. He died in the sinking, but his body was recovered. https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/austin-partner.html

Ricky B

Apr 22, 2015
Thank you very much for your reply.

I too, have no current answer for it but for now (and until I find the answer) I shall speculate that it was a secret hot tub (joke!!).

At first I thought it to be a hoist, but i cannot seem to find this on the deck above or below. One shall keep researching! Thank you for the additional information.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It is indeed the shaft for a small service hoist, rather like a dumb waiter. It connects the restaurant kitchen on B Deck above with the main kitchen on D Deck below. Look again at the deck plans and you should see it clearly marked in both kitchens (between hull frames 49 and 50, towards the port side).

J

Jack Dawson

Excellent! I thought along the same lines at Ricky B (and tried tracing it from the deck above and below) but didn't see the notations.