Cabin numbers from white star line

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wendi parker

why is it that the white star line didnt have a complete listing of all the passengers' cabin numbers?
it would make sense that when they (the passengers)bought a ticket, their names would have been added to a list and then put into a room or rooms.
was it a mistake on white stars part or was it just not done?
was there more then one place where they were able to buy tickets?

thank you,
wendi
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Wendi,

The reason is quite simple. Those records went down with the ship. The records available were found on a body recovered by the Mackay-Bennett, or gathered from survivors' accounts.

Kyrila

Jan 31, 2001
Wendi,

That list can be viewed on this site under "The Cave List". It was found on the recovered body of saloon steward Herbert Cave. You can also see supporting evidence of the cabin numbers and who was where under "Cabin Allocations".

-B.W.

W

wendi parker

If that's so, wouldn't white star line have kept copies of the passenger list and their cabins in their personal files?
Maybe I'm just dense about the whole thing!!!!
Or maybe its cuz i hope that somewhere out there, someone has a list of all of them. I know its one of those things that would have been pondered years ago and looked into.
If anyone would know where it would be or if it would be.. it would be the white star line.
and wouldnt that just be cool to know after all these years?
I know its one of those things that we will never know. but can't help but wonder and ask questions about it. Its a shame to waste a curious mind!

thank you!
wendi
happy.gif

Jan 31, 2001
Hello Wendi,

Like Kyrila said, the complete list was lost when the Titanic was lost. I do not believe that there is anyone on the face of this Earth who knows all the cabin numbers and who occupied which cabin. The Cave List is far from being complete, and has a few errors on it. It is believed that a few well-known passengers (i.e.: the Astors, Thayers, etc.) might have requested their names taken off the list for one reason or another. While a complete list of cabin allocations on the Titanic is a wonderful thought, I doubt it will ever get farther than just that...a thought.

-B.W.

R

Richard Dobrenel

Hi all,
As I agreed with Wendy, I remembered that some passengers had bought their ticket in Paris. So, I wonder how the different offices could communicate to know which cabins were occupied without computer. It seems to be very uneasy(?)
Thanks

Jul 20, 2000
>>I remembered that some passengers had bought their ticket in Paris. So, I wonder how the different offices could communicate to know which cabins were occupied without computer. It seems to be very uneasy(?)<<

It is likely that only a limited number of passengers requested specific rooms and given that passengers boarding at both Southampton & Cherbourg were on the Cave List it may well be that the rooms were more generally assigned onboard. - If I am wrong with this hopefully someone will correct my thinking.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Richard, without knowing how old you are, there are some of us old codgers on board who remember a time when records were kept without computers and we did a pretty good job of keeping track of things. When computers DID finally come along, many of us who were in charge of keeping records thought we could still do a better job of it - or was that just a Tracy/Hepburn movie?

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
In regards to the Lusitania, passengers would go down to the booking office and look at the price range and location and they would be assigned a room. This would be written on a passenger contract ticket paper. The way I gather it is that they must have cabled the booking ahead. Of course, changes would be made if some other agent booked the same cabin in the short time span.

Dec 7, 2000
This is just a guess, but I think that the smaller travel agents would have had to deal through the main White Star Line offices before asigning passengers specific cabins. The main WSL offices probably kept a list of all bookings and updated them daily.

If a smaller travel agent needed to book someone on the Titanic, they would first check whether a certain cabin was occupied and then proceed with the booking. The main WSL offices in London and Paris probably sent updates of bookings by wireless.

I think it was very similar in those days only instead of the internet, things just took slightly longer and were done by phone or wirelss.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.