Cabins explored during Ghosts of the Abyss

N

Nicolas Roughol

At least one of those cabins on B deck (cabins B-1 to B-6) was explored, I believe it was B-3...
The idea behing it was to get any glimpse of a brass bed frame as Molly Brown is believed that have used one of those cabins...and one of her relatives indicated she had a brass bed.
I believe all of this information I'm giving is featured in Ken Marschall's diary of the expedition on marconigraph.com

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
The A-deck cabins were explored as well. Mostly brass bed steads were located on this deck. It has now been noted recently by research done by Daniel Klistorner that "Molly" Brown's stateroom occupancy was actually in a cabin down on E-deck.

Hope this helps,

Nigel

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if any of the B deck cabins showed signs of occupancy, but several throughout the ship did. Like that bowler's style hat that was found in the remains of Henry Sleeper Harper's cabin. I think there were others as well, but by the same token, a lot is buried under tons of debris and sediment.

N

Nicolas Roughol

There was actually another haunting sign of occupancy, that is the remains of a jacket over a brass bed frame (the proximity of metal preserved the jacket after all these years). There's a photo of that jacket in the GOTA book...

M

Mikael Jonsson

Why didn't James Cameron go back to the millionaire suite (the one booked by JP Morgan) in the GOTA dives? He visited the suite in 1995, but not in 2001.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
If I remember correctly, he did--that's the cabin Ismay wound up staying in, and I'm pretty sure there's a clip of Ismay (a.k.a. our beloved Ken Marschall) reading his paper in that cabin.

--Jim

M

Mikael Jonsson

James: I don't think that is the same cabins. The fireplaces don't look the same. Look at the photos in James Camerons book about his film (the section about the dive) and then in the GOTA book.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
If I were James Cameron, I'd be wanting to visit new places every time, (ie, the Turkish Baths). Of course, I'd probably be wanting to return to the same area over and over again if I had a million dollar bot stuck there. ;)

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Cameron visited B-51 in 1995, some of this dive footage was sliced into his 1997 movie, of the white crab crawling slowy above the fireplace. Maybe he felt that he had already explored these rooms and felt no need for further exploration. But as Mikael said, these were two different sets of suites and he explored Ismay's suite B-52 as you know for Ghosts of the Abyss doco.

Nigel

Shannon Duff

Sep 26, 2004
I wanna see Lorraine's or Ruth's(lol, I'm almost the same age as Ruth,i'm 11) Um, is Ghosts of the Abyss a movie? In English we watched a movie about the Titanic and it had the exploring of it also.

Oct 15, 2007
Hi everybody, My name is Shannon Manning and I'm new to ET!! I saw the documentary "Last Mysteries of the Titanic" and was impressed by it.I have to say my favorite part of it was going to the area where the Turkish Bathes were. The color on the tiles was amazing.It shows that Titanic is still very much alive! ShannonM

Oct 15, 2007
Hi again, All I can say about "Ghosts of the Abyss" is James Cameron did a marvelous job and I saw them discuss much about Mrs.Brown's bed.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Shannon,

There has been some discrepancy surrounding Margaret Brown's bed. That particular bed that is shown in GOTA was if I recall correctly, oak. But according to her account, Margaret clearly remembers her bed being a brass bed.

Plus, that particular cabin was on B deck and while it was rumoured for a long time that Margaret Brown's cabin was on B deck, it is now accepted that her cabin was E 23.

For further reading, check out this article by Daniel Klistorner which is very interesting and worthwhile. Daniel sheds new light on why her cabin was on E deck, instead of B deck.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
"There has been some discrepancy surrounding Margaret Brown's bed. That particular bed that is shown in GOTA was if I recall correctly, oak. But according to her account, Margaret clearly remembers her bed being a brass bed."

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I recall the outcome differently. I thought I remember them initially finding an oak bed, but upon searching the room deeper, they had indeed found a brass bed. Is that not how it went?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Sorry Scott, but you're not entirely correct, so I suggest you watch it again. While that is what was said in the film, they were not a hundred per cent certain as to which cabin it was.

As I've already stated above, the cabin that they were exploring was on B deck; I clearly remember the MIR submersible going over the bow, since it was assumed that Margaret Brown had a cabin overlooking the bow. But this was incorrect; her cabin was on E deck. Plus, they filmed GOTA in 2001 and it wasn't public knowledge until a year later, when Daniel Klistorner's article was released that there was conflicting information. Besides, James Cameron did not get past D deck in GOTA.

I know Parks or Daniel will back me up on this. Plus, Daniel's article that I linked to above should be the last word on which cabin Margaret Brown stayed in.