Cabins explored during Ghosts of the Abyss

Jason D. Tiller

Hello Shannon,

There has been some discrepancy surrounding Margaret Brown's bed. That particular bed that is shown in GOTA was if I recall correctly, oak. But according to her account, Margaret clearly remembers her bed being a brass bed.

Plus, that particular cabin was on B deck and while it was rumoured for a long time that Margaret Brown's cabin was on B deck, it is now accepted that her cabin was E 23.

For further reading, check out this article by Daniel Klistorner which is very interesting and worthwhile. Daniel sheds new light on why her cabin was on E deck, instead of B deck.

"There has been some discrepancy surrounding Margaret Brown's bed. That particular bed that is shown in GOTA was if I recall correctly, oak. But according to her account, Margaret clearly remembers her bed being a brass bed."

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I recall the outcome differently. I thought I remember them initially finding an oak bed, but upon searching the room deeper, they had indeed found a brass bed. Is that not how it went?

Jason D. Tiller

Sorry Scott, but you're not entirely correct, so I suggest you watch it again. While that is what was said in the film, they were not a hundred per cent certain as to which cabin it was.

As I've already stated above, the cabin that they were exploring was on B deck; I clearly remember the MIR submersible going over the bow, since it was assumed that Margaret Brown had a cabin overlooking the bow. But this was incorrect; her cabin was on E deck. Plus, they filmed GOTA in 2001 and it wasn't public knowledge until a year later, when Daniel Klistorner's article was released that there was conflicting information. Besides, James Cameron did not get past D deck in GOTA.

I know Parks or Daniel will back me up on this. Plus, Daniel's article that I linked to above should be the last word on which cabin Margaret Brown stayed in.

Since we seem to be in a fight picking mood today, perhaps you can tell me, Jason, who's bed we are looking at when they have the conversation above? The name may be wrong, but I do recall watching this part and them having this conversation about the brass bed. The movie, in my mind, is depicting the brass bed as belonging Molly, at least as a possibility.

So okay fine, it's not Molly's. Who's is it?

Jason D. Tiller

I'm not in a "fight picking mood", Scott and never am with anyone on this board. Perhaps you are though. I'm just providing the facts.

quote:

The name may be wrong, but I do recall watching this part and them having this conversation about the brass bed.

You're contriving a strawman. Note that I've never said the conversation didn't take place. What I said was:

While that is what was said in the film, they were not a hundred per cent certain as to which cabin it was.

I recall the conversation just as clearly as you do, but again the cabin did not belong to Margaret Brown. Yes, it was a possibility at the time, but that was before new information came to light, which was Daniel's article. Read my post again.

As to who's cabin it was, I don't think that has ever been determined. But, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.​

Okay Jason, you can change your post to be less on the offensive if you like, but your original comment "sorry Scott, but you've got it wrong", certainly seemed to be running on the offensive.

I was never trying to question what they actually found, but what they said they found in the show in regards to your original comment "That particular bed that is shown in GOTA was if I recall correctly, oak". All I wanted to point out was that they also showed a brass bed shortly after that, (in the cut version of the film that doesn't show Bill peeing, the brass bed is shown immediately after). Yes, they left it up in the air for the audience, I understand that. Given the evidence of the show only, which is where I assume Shannon's original comment came from, one could easily conclude that the audience is watching footage of Molly's room and Molly's bed (either oak or brass).

As for the facts, I do not, nor did I ever dispute what they actually did find. The facts are always a moving target and I'm glad you pointed me towards that article. There is some good info there.

This comment "While that is what was said in the film, they were not a hundred per cent certain as to which cabin it was. ", was not in your original post that I received via email. Please, if you care enough to hit "Post this Message", you should care enough to take ownership of your original comments and not change them later on and accuse me of not fully reading your post.

Jason D. Tiller

quote:

but your original comment "sorry Scott, but you've got it wrong", certainly seemed to be running on the offensive.

You're reading too much into my post. That comment was never intended to be offensive. I merely corrected your statement.

quote:

All I wanted to point out was that they also showed a brass bed shortly after that, (in the cut version of the film that doesn't show Bill peeing, the brass bed is shown immediately after).

Well, I don't recall seeing a brass bed in that cabin. I only remember viewing an oak bed. But, I would have to watch it again. I'm going from memory here.

quote:

This comment "While that is what was said in the film, they were not a hundred per cent certain as to which cabin it was. ", was not in your original post that I received via email. Please, if you care enough to hit "Post this Message", you should care enough to take ownership of your original comments and not change them later on and accuse me of not fully reading your post.

I edited my post after posting it, but I didn't feel it necessary to mention it. Big deal. Last time I checked, the "Edit Post" feature was for editing your post.​

Jason,

You edited your post, which is fine, and then accused me of not reading your post fully, which is not fine. I read your original post. So it is a big deal when your next post states things like "Note that I've never said the conversation didn't take place", despite your original comment suggesting that the conversation did not take place.

Your original comment came off with a certain tone, so I responded to that tone. So it is a "big deal" to change that original comment and then state:

"'m not in a "fight picking mood", Scott and never am with anyone on this board. Perhaps you are though."

If your intent was harmless, then that's fine. No harm no foul, as they say. I'm always willing to move on and say "sorry". In fact, I'll say it now. I'm sorry. The bed is a mute point at any rate. As far as I know, I could have been looking at Rose's bed.

Hey guys I have a question about the film. Now I know that in the movie they got down to D Deck and explored the remains of the reception room. I have a bunch of questions about this so here it goes:
1)I know the framework for the D Deck staircase is still in place, but how about the 2nd Funell Casing. As I may recall, it was elaborated decorated to match the rest of the reception room. When they went in and explored the area, I could see nothing that clearly looked like the funell casing, yet Ken Marshall stated that it was there along with the carvings in place.
2) My next question is are both sets of French Grilled Doors leading into the Dining Room on both the port and starbard side gone, along with the wall with the windows that the divided the reception and dining room? Again, they only showed the ones on Gangway entrance as still being in place.
3) What remains of the first class dining saloon? Is it completely gone. They found some windows, but I couldnt see any columns or the jacobean designs or anything. Is the dining room completely gone due to the fact that it was near the breakup?
That's all I can say for now, thanks.

>>When they went in and explored the area, I could see nothing that clearly looked like the funell casing<<

You probably wouldn't either, unless you knew the ship's layout and exactly what to look for. The whole thing would be covered up by any of the panaling.

>>My next question is are both sets of French Grilled Doors leading into the Dining Room on both the port and starbard side gone, along with the wall with the windows that the divided the reception and dining room? Again, they only showed the ones on Gangway entrance as still being in place.<<

That's all I saw. From the looks of it, much of it survived amazingly well and is still where the builders left it.

>>What remains of the first class dining saloon? Is it completely gone.<<

My understanding is that it's in an advancing state of collapse. You can get into the forward end but the overhead is coming down the further aft you go.

Thanks Michael. How far do yout think it's possible to get into the dining saloon? When watching the film they showed something that Cameron said was the door frame, and there was muck like half way up. That to my guess is where the french doors into the dining saloon would have stood. Cameron must have deleted a lot of raw footage in making the final cut for the film. I'd love to see some deleted footage from this area, as it was my most favorite area of the ship. I'm sure there's like a special site to find it too.

>>How far do yout think it's possible to get into the dining saloon?<<

Since the decision was taken not to attempt it, I would reckon that you couldn't get very far in there. When the mud is halfway up and the overhead is coming steadily down, that doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room. Unless Discovery decided to put something up on their website, I'd bet long odds against finding it unless it was cribbed illegally.

There is a lot of copyright infringement on the web.