Caledonia

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Could somebody possibly please help me with a link to a photo of the liner 'Caledonia'? I've just unearthed an ancestor's letter that describes his journey on this ship all the way from Colonial Madras to Plymouth/London, and it would be nice to see the ship he was on. Best of all, the trip was made in 1912- and, within a few days of his arrival in the UK he went to the Titanic disaster memorial service at St. Pauls!

Any help much appreciated, thank you!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Thanks forthat james- I had attempteda look for her via Google myself, but got abit confused, as there seem to have been several Caledonias, and in March 1912, 'mine' sailed Madras-Colombo-Aden-Marseilles-Plymouth-London etc, as described in my ancestor's letter. (Don't know if that was the end of the line, or if the ship carried on elsewhere?) Thus, the Glasgow-New York bit threw me off a bit- wasn't sure if I had the right ship?

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Anchor Line did indeed run two seemingly disparate runs, one to East-of-Suez and a transatlantic run, right up to the 1960s. I think the New York berth was served out of Glasgow while the India berth was out of Birkenhead.

Latterly the transatlantic run was operated exclusively by cargo vessels.

Noel

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I've found a site that shows timetables for the various ships/companies now, confirming that the route in full was Calcutta-Madras-Colombo-Aden-Port Said-Marseilles-Plymouth-London.

Except, everything points to that being a P&O route, not an Anchor Line one! And my ancestor refers to the P&O dock at one point, too. Everything says Caledonia was an Anchor ship, though!

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Mike,

P&O had many rivals emulating that itinerary in those days. British India, Henderson, Harrison, Asiatic Steam Navigation and Bibby spring to mind and no doubt there were others.

Noel

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
in March 1912, 'mine' sailed Madras-Colombo-Aden-Marseilles-Plymouth-London etc

Hello, gents---

Sorry to intrude, but something's not quite right here. According to the "Shipping and Mails" columns of The New York Times for March-May 1912, Caledonia made the following sailings: Glasgow (departing on 25 February)-New York (arriving on 5 March and sailing on 9 March)-Glasgow (arriving on 17 March); Glasgow (departing on 23 March)-New York (arriving on 1 April and sailing on 6 April)-Glasgow (arriving on 14 April); Glasgow (sailing on 20 April)-New York (arriving on 29 April and departing on 4 May)-Glasgow (arriving 13 May). That's where I stopped with The Times, but in the Morton-Allan Directory, further New York arrivals, one each month, are listed for the rest of 1912.

So...although Caledonia was an Anchor liner and Anchor did serve India as well as the North Atlantic, Caledonia apparently wasn't in India at any time during 1912.