Californian Postcards

Jan 29, 2001
In all of my years of collecting steamship ephemera, many yrs. ago I obtained a postcard of which I am certain is the CALIFORNIAN. I have researched the card throughly via my copy of "The Ship That Stood Still". The card is postmarked Jul.'06 Boston, Mass. Message entailed..."On a boat something like this we arrived here yesterday morning. Think Boston and it's people fine".

The postcard is color tinted, the liner is passing Boston Light, outward bound. Best of all, the funnel bears the salmon pink & black top characteristics.

Is there a method to track a particular CALIFORNIAN voyage?

As an aside: I see that Jeff Newman (Titanic@Listbox.com) has parted with his p.c. collection. You may not be surprised to see the cards on E-Bay...:-(

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

[Moderator's note: This post was originally posted in a separate topic, but has been moved to the one which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Lloyd's List or the US National Archives (immigration records) are two ways to do it.

Having looked through the records, it wasn't a voyage carrying passengers to Boston, so it doesn't appear on the listing at findmypast.com . Is there a signature on the card?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Is there a method to track a particular CALIFORNIAN voyage?

For what it's worth, the Morton-Allan Directory shows three Leyland arrivals at Boston in July 1906, none of them Californian. On the other hand, I don't see any Californian arrivals at all from 1904 to 1908; her small passenger capacity may have been so small that her arrivals weren't recorded as being passenger-carrying trips.
As an aside: I see that Jeff Newman (Titanic@Listbox.com) has parted with his p.c. collection.

He also closed the Titanic Mailing List, to which this email address related, Mike. TML is no more.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Even if her capacity was small, they would have been recorded by UK registries, which are now on-line.

As for not going to Boston.... Californian was a tramp. She was ordered wherever the money and cargo was!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
>UK registries, which are now on-line

They are? Where, Paul? I'd love to be able to do some digging through them.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Oops! I hit the wrong button, and instead of responding to a message Paul originally posted here, I erased it. I'll replace it later today from the email version I receive at home. Sorry.

MAB

Here's Paul's original message:

I've found out there is a caveat - a small fee. The website for
outgoing (from the UK) is www.findmypast.com- look for the migrations
tab, and this will give you passenger lists. You can search for ships,
on specific dates, free of charge.

The only place I know of that has inbound passenger lists is the
national archives - and thats more money too!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
LOL! I've paid so many "small fees" doing White Star research over the years that I could have paid off my mortgage already instead.

Thanks for the link, Paul. Much appreciated.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Whoops, eh! Still, its a great resource- thats how I found out about the Californian carrying passengers to Boston.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Huh???? What link?
eh.gif
?

Jan 29, 2001
Mark B., sorry to hear about the closing of Jeff's Listbox. As you are aware I was a member for many yrs. I was just tired of all the anti-salvage nonsense. Anyhow thanks for the information. As the message entailed "...on a boat something like this". I am certain the original photograph (color tinted) was more than likely the CALIFORNIAN, and perhaps the card was published at an entirely different date.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA