Californian's cargo

Seumas

Seumas

Why can we not find the scrap log of the Californian? For the same reason we cannot find its manifest. For the same reason J.P. Morgan canceled his voyage at the last minute. For the same reason he unloaded all of his valuable cargo prior to sailing. For the same reason that Ismay made his wife cancel her passage. For the same reason that the Titanic was only at half passenger capacity. For the same reason that the ship had difficulty in recruiting sufficient engine room staff despite the recession. For the same reason The Californian sailed with a full load of coal in an environment where coal was scarce, yet had no passengers. Conspiracy? If it walks like a duck........QED
Not all this rubbish again !

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Not all this rubbish again !
I don't even know what to make of that previous post. But I ran across an item about the cargo. It's a conspiracy theory I must have missed before as I don't recall hearing about it. Supposedly the cargo was blankets because the SS Californian was in on the plot to sink Titanic and they were pre-positioned to aid any survivors with blankets. I know it sounds totally dumb but it came from a Titanic author of books who I never read because of stuff like this. Cheers.
P.S....on a another note...has anyone searched the records in Boston for a possible manifest or even a note somewhere that list her cargo on arrival. I know people have talked about doing it but not sure they followed up on it.

K

Kiku

I don't think I've ever seen anything specific on that. General cargo would likely be a catch all statement for a wide variety of things they could be contracted to carry such as textiles, machine parts, lumber, wine, books, furniture...whatever.

It may be too much to hope for but perhaps somebody may have a copy of the manifest. (Bill or Eric Sauder perhaps?)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart
I read somewhere that she was carrying a large amount of cotton..

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
For the same reason J.P. Morgan canceled his voyage at the last minute.
He didn't. There's no reason to think he ever intended to be on board.