Calling at Cherbourg

Apr 7, 2001
Philippe,

The carrier pigeon will do! Just don't send the one named George Behe! He's too old and doesn't take directions well anymore!

Laughing my a** over here ~

Teri

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Randy!

I'm sure Teri wasn't trying to ruffle the feathers of this decrepit old carrier pigeon. (If she'd wanted to ruffle someone's feathers, I'm sure she'd have chosen 'Goose' Cook or 'Rat-tailed Warbler' Whitfield.) :)

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future, old chap. A great time is going to be had by all. :)

Hi, Phil!

Thanks for posting the excerpt from E&H's book. I'd have to ask the same question re: that excerpt, though -- what documentation exists to back up the times mentioned in that book?

Take care, old chap. Hope all is well with you.

All my best,

George

Apr 7, 2001
Randy,

George is correct. No feathers meant to be ruffled.

George is a very nice gentleman and whenever I joke about him it is because I like him and he knows this.
happy.gif

Sincerely,

Teri

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Teri,
personally, it's the black trench coat, pale white pallor and black cape George wears out in public that scares me.

Other than that, George is a fairly nice dude. Just don't look him straight in the eye, especially the one in the center of his forehead...

Dan

Apr 7, 2001
Dan,

I knew there was something strange about George. I had a hard time figuring out some of the dots on his face, but now that you mention it, I've solved my riddle.

And I agree with you. Other than that, George is a fairly nice dude.

Teri

D

Deleted member 173198

Hi Inger!

Yes, I've been thinking about it as well!

It's hardly surprising because nowaday's whenever I go on a little shopping spree to France (mainly Cherbourg) it usually takes between 5 to 6 hours for the Channel Boats to arrival.
Until Philippe came forward and give more then what we ever anticapted beforehand which I am truly grateful for, it makes sense for Titanic's arrival which is only an estimated guess, but I think her time off docking at Cherbourg in the evening might have stretched between 5.30 & 5.45pm. It does make you wonder?

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hi George,

To be honest, Eaton & Haas do not provide any notes for sources of the information in their book - I suppose I've just accepted the info on blind faith (a dangerous philosophy!).

It was worked out on another thread that sundown that day at Cherbourg was a few minutes either side of 6.50pm, and there is a photo of the Titanic there in daylight - it's extremely difficult to pinpoint the time she arrived exactly though.

(That is without doubt the lamest sentence I have ever written in my life!)

Perhaps the intrepid M. Delaunoy could get in touch with the Maritime museum in Cherbourg to see if they have any records which could help. It may be unlikely, seeing as Cherbourg didn't exactly have a quiet WW2, but it may be worth a try.

Regards

Sam

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Dear all,

First of all - Sam, welcome back !

There is no specific note in Mr Destrais' book concerning the "Titanic at Cherbourg" timeline but ... I have the phone number of Mr Destais' Association "Les Amis de la Gare Maritime et des Transatlantiques de Cherbourg". I'll give him a call soon.

I've already contacted the French Railways Association. I asked them some informations concerning "Transatlantic Trains" departing Paris-Gare Saint Lazarre to Cherbourg-Maritime Station.

I hope I could answer your questions very soon.

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

George, All,

Here is the transcript of an article published in the Newspaper "Cherbourg Eclair" - dated "11 avril 1912" :

"Le Géant des Mers

Le transatlantique anglais "Titanic", le leviathan moderne, celui qui détient le record du tonnage parmi les paquebots qui font communiquer l'Ancien et le Nouveau Continent, a fait sa première escale sur notre rade mercredi soir. Il était parti de Southampton quelques heures auparavant et avait marché à une vitesse constante de 19 noeuds.

A 18 heures 10 exactement, le "Titanic", brillant de mille feux, reprenait la haute mer à destination de New-York."

The french lesson is free!

A depature at 6:10 pm (Cherbourg time)seems to be confirmed!

Still waiting answers from the French Railroads Archives, Cherbourg Maritime Archives and from a French Railraod Society's Newspaper.

I'll keep you informed.

Phil

P

Philippe Delaunoy

ERRATUM !!!!!!

"...

A 8 heures 10 exactement, le "Titanic", brillant de mille feux, reprenait la haute mer à destination de New-York ..."

SORRY, IT WAS 8:10 pm Cherbourg Time !!!