Calling For The Brain Trust A New Quest

Apr 11, 2001
Last week it was the Nieuw Amsterdam Caper- this week the mission (should you decide to accept it Mr. Phelps- this posting will self-destruct in 10 seconds) is FIND THOSE HANCOCKS and others mentioned in the Smith Letters.
http://www.geocities.com/revdma2/letters.html
I have just scanned the Smith bio here at ET- we know Frank Hancock was Smith's nephew and married to Gillie and had a family in Savannah. Now did Catherine Smith have a sister-or EJ's Dad? What happened to the Hancocks and family? Who was Christian Mallock, Churchill, Myers and The Gordons? This is one for you Messrs. McGowan, Meister and Findlay. I want that photo of Capt. Smith at the dinner- can we solve this in 2 days?

M

Mirriam Wood

Shelley -
I only bet on a sure thing, and I say you terrific sleuths can and will do it!
happy.gif

(I'll report back on the Nieuw Amsterdam as soon as I've had a chance to get to the L.A. Library)

Apr 11, 2001
The Brain Trust appears to be dozing... it must be all this rain- I may have to call in the troops by name!! Sleepy week here on the board-

Feisty at Fifty

Dec 12, 1999
I was just about to say the same thing, where's the "Brain Trust?" Actually, another one who might be able to help you is Michael Standart --I believe he is down in that area.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wish I knew where to begin. A local public library in the city of interest I suppose. Maybe even the local phone book. I've only lived here in SC for six years, most of it in the Navy, so I haven't learned the area well, much less the people.

Perhaps Philip Gowen and Brian Meister?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

Hello, Michael

Have a look at the Savannah Public Library's website. Actually, any of the brain trust can do that. There's a nice-looking home-made index to obituaries in one of the major local papers. The address is http://www.cerl.org. Most larger public libraries have local history and geneaology sections, and if they don't, will be able to direct you to the places that do. It's their job, and it's your tax dollars at work. Use them! :)

Pat Winship

Apr 11, 2001
The posse is coming over the hill! Geoff is leading the charge with a Hancock relative who may be able to provide some clues. Will attempt to access the Savannah newspaper archives online. Sounds like Frank had kids-good-more Hancocks. Capt. Smith surely writes to Frank in a fatherly way... they must have been close. If you are just tuning into this saga of intrigue and suspense, the ET Brain Bust..er...TRUST is trying to find out about Capt. Smith's nephew Frank Hancock -the information comes from this series of letters-:
http://www.geocities.com/revdma2/letters.html

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

Hi, Shelly

I had a try with the online version of the Savannah newspaper, but they appear to promise more than they actually have. *wipes egg off face* Whoever's down there should call that library up and get some assistance from somebody with a pulse. Sounds like you've already got a good lead though.

Pat Winship

Apr 11, 2001
Patricia- see what the Savannah Historical Society has to say- a fabulously historic city like that must have a real jewel of a society. The game's afoot Sherlock!(People sometimes get all thrilled and helpful when Titanic and Capt. Smith's name is dropped). I begin my appeal, all dewy-eyed with " Did you know YOUR fair city ...etc..." It usually works!

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Shelley--major progress to report. Apparently Gillie Hancock either died or she and Frank divorced. After Savannah he lived in Atlanta until 1916. About 1913 Frank remarried a much younger woman named Natalie (he was born in 1862 in Hanley, Staffordshire, England). They had a son born in 1914, another son born in 1916, and a daughter, Eleanor, in 1920. If we're lucky maybe Eleanor is still living--she would be 81. And who knows, maybe there are even some younger children (though Frank was 61 years old the last place I've been able to find him).

Hopefully I can find living descendants quickly.

Phillip

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Kyrila--not that I'm aware of--maybe my friend Mr. Whitfield can advise further.

Shelley--another giant step in just the last 5 minutes since I posted the other message. The oldest of Frank's sons just died in 1995. Should have a lead on his survivors quickly.

Phillip

Apr 11, 2001
Phil-MY HERO!! Champagne's on me when we get to Newport! Have been puzzling over Frank Hancock since 1976.... wow- I can ALMOST see that framed picture of Capt. Smith in the white morroco case. Bet there are MORE family photos and mementos. Am hanging online with fingers crossed. I am praying for MORE letters! A younger woman-huh?- Good thing he never met Dorothy Gibson. Maybe they did have more kiddies. Poor Gillie-the Capt. would not be amused. Full speed ahead-

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Exhale Shelley--we're almost there. The widow of the oldest child is still alive--her name is Evelyn Hancock--but she has moved from the address where she formerly lived and I'm trying to get a current one. Should have that one just any day.

Phil