Cameron's Apology

May 27, 2007
I'm from Iowa originally.
I was a gypsy in childhood because of my Moms Job we lived in Wyoming and Colorado. Now I'm in Missouri. I hear you on the cold up in Michigan. When we were living in Laramie the snow and dry cold just about drove me crazy.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The hurricanes notwithstanding, I love the tropical climate,<<

I hope you like humidity and alligators. Both are in plentiful supply in Florida. That said, there's a lot the state has going for it provided you stay away from the spots aimed at tourists.

Jun 12, 2004
Mike -

I like the quiet and laidback areas, where peace reigns and the gators, where they are present, are in the zoo (I HATE crowds). Still, I wouldn't mind Hawaii or even California, which isn't necessarily tropical, but it is perpetually warm and sunny. Parks must be enjoying his life there, hehe.

Yes, Florida does have a lot going for it, historically, recreationally and culturally. Some good schools there, too. NASA. Disney World. Fruit gardens. No land tax, so real estate and rent are cheaper, except on the ocean front.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>(I HATE crowds). <<

Me too. Rather odd for a guy who served on two aircraft carriers but what the hell.

>>Still, I wouldn't mind Hawaii or even California, <<

Same caveat: Avoid the tourist traps, especially in Hawaii. I've been there. Dump Honolulu/Waikiki into the ocean and you would do Oahu a favour. Get out anywhere else and you should be good to go, and your wallet won't be begging for mercy.

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

Get out anywhere else and you should be good to go, and your wallet won't be begging for mercy.
I take it that it's cheap there? That's what I heard. That makes it ideal, hehe. Still, the entire chain is likely to be a tourist attraction, so attempting to stay away from the tourist traps is the nearly impossible trick to beat.

You don't like Honolulu/Waikiki? I presume because it's likely the most dense in tourism of the entire chain. It's funny how tourists all seem to gravitate to the same place. No where these locations are is essential to finding peace.

Actually, it doesn't sound strange that you'd hate the crowds. After all, you spent many years crammed in with others, so you cherish your private space. Believe me, so do I.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I take it that it's cheap there?<<

Oh yeah...right...suuuuuuuuuuuure it is. Last time I was there and out on the town, the clubs and hotels only wanted $3.00 for a can of Budweiser. That was in 1983. I'm sure they've come down a bit since then.

The last time I was there was on an overnight and I sipped my suds at the Beeman Center on the submarine base. At .75 cents a can, it was a whole lot more expensive.
crazy.gif

>>You don't like Honolulu/Waikiki?<<

Well, there is a mall out there which is worth the trip if you're in it for the shopping. Forgot the name, but this place was huge!

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

and your wallet won't be begging for mercy.
Mike -

This, though conditional, is what gave me the impression that Hawaii would be cheap.

Still, a larger-than-life shopping mall will easily eat up all that money in seconds flat.

.75c - $3.00 for a can of beer? I can never imagine this. Such prices will undoubtedly keep one drinking and drinking and drinking . . .*head's spinning* What about the food? The seafood is bound to be good but high-priced, at least I would expect it to be.​

Jun 12, 2004
George -

quote:

I'm from Iowa originally.
I was a gypsy in childhood because of my Moms Job we lived in Wyoming and Colorado. Now I'm in Missouri.
Whew! Sounds like you've been all over the west. You must be called a prairie cat by now, hehe.

quote:

I hear you on the cold up in Michigan. When we were living in Laramie the snow and dry cold just about drove me crazy.
I'm not saying that it's as much the cold as it the constant shifting in temperature and change of weather. That in itself is frustrating and annoying. You never really know what it's like outside until you get dressed and go outside.​

May 27, 2007
Prairie cat
lol.gif

I hear you Mark on the constant shifting of the weather. it like that here in Missouri.
sad.gif
One by its 50F another day it's only 20F.
crazy.gif

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Mark:
quote:

Still, I wouldn't mind Hawaii or even California
Well, I can speak for California ~ and you can have it! I just recently moved AWAY from there and don't miss it a bit! Busy, busy, busy, no peace there (unless you are up in the mountains by yourself - but forget Tahoe) If you like peace, don't go to California.
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I'm a Florida girl. Took me over 50 years to come to that realization. I always claimed my Kentucky roots, proud of my hillbilly heritage, but after my last foray in the state of my early childhood (we moved to Miami when I was ten), I realized there's no place like home! And home is Florida.

As for good schools? Which ones did you mean? Certainly not the public schools! They can't even afford textbooks for the kids. Don't know where all that lottery money is going--someone's pocket, I presume, because it's not going to the kids.

But I love that I can step outside my apartment and watch the space shuttle fly into space, or stand on the beach and feel the force of nature in the surf crashing at my feet, and I can see the fireworks splash across the sky over Cinderella's castle from my balcony, and experience the fury of Mother Nature's most thrilling storms. Not to mention I don't spend any money on heating fuel in the winter.

Kyrila

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I'd hate to live anywhere where it's hot all the time. I hate summer and humidity, so I certainly wouldn't want to live in perpetual summer. As has been mentioned Florida has the hurricanes, gators, humidity, tornadoes -- and California had the earthquakes, wildfires, and so on.

I like four distinct seasons, but not snow up to my armpits. The Carolinas are pretty good in that regard, though the summers last a bit too long for my taste. We have seasons, though very little snow, and we don't have the extremes of weather.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, Tracy! We haven't chatted in a long time. Do you know I've never seen an alligator except in the zoo? And I've lived here off and on since 1964. Sure, there are hurricanes--bad ones--and we're number one in the country for lightning strikes. Fantastic, thrilling and dangerous thunderstorms can strike at any time. Good thing for me, experiencing extreme weather is my extreme sport. I'm like the Bill Paxton character in TWISTER--I grab my camera and a bottle of rum and stand out in the wind and offer it a drink of Puerto Rico's finest. Our tornados usually don't rise more than an F-1, rarely an F-2, and it seems to me the Carolinas get hit more often by hurricanes than Florida does. Yeah, we have humidity--welcome to the Caribbean, luv! We also have droughts and pestilence and fires. Did I mention we're due for a tsunami? We have our own earthquake fault, too--right up the center of the peninsula. And our beaches are eroding near hotels and houses? (That'll teach you to build so close to the beach! What do you think water does? IT ERODES!!!) However, the governor's office reports that 1,000 people a day move here. It clogs our roads and waterways, saps our limited natural resources, raises taxes and insurance and strains our already dismal education system, among other things. ("Welcome to Florida, now go home!!!" --as the bumper stickers say.)

Maybe it's my ancestors' pioneer blood that makes me love the adventure of living in Florida. At the moment, I can't think of any place I'd rather be.

Except maybe France. (Trying to talk my boss into opening a franchise of our store at Disneyland Paris!)

Kyrila

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Forgot to mention that we're also famous for sinkholes. There's a lake in the middle of downtown Orlando where there was once a thriving block of businesses and apartments. Just last month some homes had to be evacuated because of sinkholes starting to swallow them up.

Anyone STILL interested in moving to Florida? You better have an RV to live in. It's the only practical housing available. You can take your home with you when disaster strikes.

Kyrila

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Hehehehe. But I live in the Upstate of South Carolina, about 20 miles from Mike Standart. We're too far inland for any hurricanes. Plus, we've got the beautiful hilly landscape of the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Jun 12, 2004
Jason-

quote:

If you like peace, don't go to California.
Yes, I do like peace; I hate crowded places. My sister lives there, and from what I hear, the cost of living there is expensive. Florida, on the other hand, I hear is much cheaper. Of course, that's all relative. Kyrila, what are living expenses like in Florida?

Kyrila-

quote:

As for good schools? Which ones did you mean? Certainly not the public schools! They can't even afford textbooks for the kids. Don't know where all that lottery money is going--someone's pocket, I presume, because it's not going to the kids
I can believe it. Unfortunately, that's everywhere.

What I meant by good schools, I guess I was referring to my field and reputation. Florida State University, for example, has one of the best ESL doctoral programs in the country, or so I've heard. I am a writer by profession, but I've considered TESOL, as I love languages and learning about other cultures.

Money from every pot seems to be lining some fat cat's wallet. Nothing new about that, really. It's a shame, but what can you do?

quote:

That'll teach you to build so close to the beach! What do you think water does? IT ERODES!!!
My guess it that since a lot of people like being by the coast, the money brought in from tourism makes such a location worth the damage caused. It's a shame that profit supersedes environmental protection.

By the way, I take it that the high insurance makes up for the lack of (or low) land tax?

quote:

You can take your home with you when disaster strikes
Actually, I thought about buying myself a camper. It's probably cheaper and certainly more beneficial that living in a house or apartment, especially since you can travel with it.

quote:

Except maybe France. (Trying to talk my boss into opening a franchise of our store at Disneyland Paris!)
Actually, I thought about living in France, too. No doubt THAT is expensive. Still, I would like to at least visit.

Kyrila, do you know any French?

George-

quote:

I don't want to think of how much we're spending on heating.
Astronomical! *knocks on wood top of his desk* Too high to even consider. That's one reason I prefer the more tropical climates.

Tracy-

quote:

I'd hate to live anywhere where it's hot all the time. I hate summer and humidity, so I certainly wouldn't want to live in perpetual summer.
I don't like the sweltering heat or humidity either--and I've heard that Florida gets plenty of that--but I hate the biting cold of winter even worse. Perpetual summer sounds fine with me, as long as it's not too hot and sweaty.

Of course, there is something to be said about the experiences of each of the four seasons. Autumn in Michigan, for example, is memorable, with its color and warm breezes, not to mention the genuine apple cider, which is unlikely available in Florida.

quote:

We're too far inland for any hurricanes.
Heaven help those at Myrtle Beach (and the stream of islands along the coast)!

The mountains sound pleasant, though.
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>.*head's spinning*<<

Dealing with that is between you and your exorcist. Me...I don't get involved.

>> What about the food?<<

Don't remember clearly. It can be pretty steep in some places depending on where you choose to eat. If it's one of the tourist traps, beware!

>>Heaven help those at Myrtle Beach (and the stream of islands along the coast)! <<

If you ever get down to the coastal cities in North or South Carolina, you'll notice a lot of homes near the beach which are actually built on some very beefy stilts. This tends to keep the habital part of the house above any likely storm surge. I've seen plenty of places like this in and around Charleston.

Getting this back on track, I'll bet some of Titanic's officers and crew had a thing or several dozen to say about some of the ports they've been to and what they would do to their pay packets.