Camerons pictures inside the wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine Geyer

Hi to you all !!

I have seen there is a huge amount of documentaries about Titanic to be seen on Video, unfortunately it's all on NTSC and not on PAL, even though my best friend bought an NTSC-recorder last week and I'll be allowed to use this sometimes. So maybe therefore my question is out of date. Nevertheless:

James Cameron has done several dives to the wreck and I guess we've all been impressed of the pictures he brought up. Somewhere I have read about a meeting between Dr. Ballard and Cameron where they talked about the interior and Cameron mentioned about the quality of the wood that still remains in certain parts of the wreck. And I have read so much about the greaaaaat pictures he mad shot inside. Since he included relatively little of the filming-material into the movie I wonder has the rest of those spectacular filming ever been published ???? Does anybody know ?? Or did I miss anything over here ??

On the website of discovery.com I have seen a stunning picture from inside suite B-51, occupied by Mrs. Cardeza, by the way, but surely you know that already. I hadn't even seen that before.

Regards,
Christine

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Christine!

I can't really help you on that but anyway here it goes.

After the release on video of Cameron's movie everyone was expecting backstage shots and such, including the many pictures Cameron got of the ship. Unfortunelly, beside some speccial editions, he never released anything else and the "fans" got a little bit sad... at least I did!

I've heard that Cameron is doing a "Titanic II" and I'm hoping that he will use some more of these great shots... It would be really sad if he keep these image only for him since there are so few of us who really have the chance to go down there!

Best wishes,
Cátia Lamy

Jan 31, 2001
Hello,

I know I'll probably sound dumb for asking this, but I've been to Discovery.com many times and have heard about this and other amazing Titanic shots, but have never been able to locate them on the site. How do you get to them?

Jan 31, 2001
I tried the search and the link, but I don't think the material is still there. They've totally changed their website. Thanks, anyway.

-Brandon

C

Christine Geyer

Brandon: The special picture I've been talking about is to be seen at

http://www.discovery.com/stories/science/titanic/reports/live0816g.html

That's the one of cabin B-51. (What do you think about it ?) From there on there are some links to other ones as well and under

http://www.discovery.com/stories/science/sciencetitanic/sciencetitanic.html

you can go to several other features, including a page with a lot of videos.

Cátia, thanks a lot, I haven't heard anything certain about Titanic II before. Is that an official information ??

About the filming material I think it would be great if it would be published on a video-tape, don't you think ?? They say it's so stunning but where is it ?????
happy.gif

Regards,
Christine

Jan 31, 2001
Thanks for those great links, Christine!

I thought the shot of cabin B-51 was really stunning because the wood was preserved.

The other shots were also great.

-Brandon

L

Lars Lifvendahl

To Christine:
Like you, I've been looking all over for the wreck interiour footage made by Cameron. Sadly enough I'm very sure Mr Cameron has this footage in his safe-deposit box. Why should he ever publish it; he might just want it for himself. If he ever publish his footage, I'm sure it would be a success. But perhaps he doesn't care: he's already a billionaire!

Yours truly,
Lars

C

Christine Geyer

Hi Lars !!

Thanks so much for your message. I'm glad to hear that there are others out there, wondering where he put this treasures
happy.gif
Well, didn't he repeat again and again how passionate he became with Titanic... So Why doesn't he share this material with us ??? He should publish it on DVD and video, I think, so we could all enjoy these extraordinary pictures.

By the way... Lars where do you come from ??? Your name sounds pretty scandinavian. Sweden ???

Hey då !!!!
Christine

L

Lars Lifvendahl

Hej Christine!
Yes, I'm Swedish. I'm impressed by your Swedish!
I don't know either why Cameron doesn't show his treasures, I've just seen snapshots in the Titanic Commutator and the scene in the Film (the blurred scene of the doors in 1st class diningsaloon.) As I said he might just have it private, he doesn't care about making any more money on a production like that. But as you I can't see why he doesn't do it!
The sad thing about the film is that Cameron only used about 7 seconds of his real footage. The rest (for example the piano) was shooted in a studio. -What a waste!
Where are you from, by the way?

C

Christine Geyer

Laaaaarrss, jag älskar Sverige !!!
smile.gif

Hehehe... I have always loved Sweden and a few years ago I finally went to Stockholm which is just sooooo great and beautiful. Hey - where are you no the "introduce yourself"-thread, so I can lavish my swedish jabber on you ????? By the way it's actually not toooo good, I just speak very very little swedish. Me I'm from Wiesbaden in Germany.

Jag hoppas, att hör från Dig snart igen !

Många hälsningar
Christine

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Christine!

Sorry for taking so long to post this.

About the Titanic II I've heard about this around here in the ET and on some portuguese magazine I believe. Anyway never heard about it again so maybe it will never happen! don't really know if it is true!

Cátia Lamy

Dec 31, 2000
Hello Everyone!

Did anyone get the chance to see "The Real Jack Dawson" on the discovery channel last week?

I was also very fortunate enough to get copies of the documentaries made in 1980 and 1981 of the Titanic Inc. expeditions.

The technology that we have today compared to the 80's is incredible to me.

Anywho... how do we get director James Cameron to release the video that he took of his dive on Titanic? He logged 12 dives, each ranging from 10-12 hrs, so that is a heck of alot of footage.
Does anyone have any pull in Hollywood that could help us to get a message to him that we would LOVE to see his footage?

I know that he shows some of it in his movie, but I want to see it, see it! Not just kinda check it out from the background.

Any suggestions, truely appreciated!

Beverly

C

Christine Geyer

Yep !! Let's do that !! *startwriting* Maybe it helps !

Beverly, you write down exactly what I think !! It is there and we all want to see it. I don't think it would be too much efford to publish and besides he would still earn some more money.

Many regards
Christine

Dec 31, 2000
Thank you Mark,

I will try the address and see where it gets us!
Thank you also Christine for your words of encouragement.
Happy Holy Week to everyone, and I will get a letter going and I will post it for review and critique from ya'll.

Thanx,

Beverly

Mar 3, 1998
I spent time with both Jim Cameron and his producer, Andrew Wight, this weekend and because of the conversation in this thread (and others like it), I asked the question, "Why can't the extra footage from the 2001 expedition be released to the public?"

The answer was surprising...because neither Cameron nor Earthship Productions own that footage. The 2001 expedition to the wreck was financed by Walden Media and Disney and they own the footage that resulted from the expedition. Walden and Disney will continue to hold onto that footage as long as there is any potential or perceived value attached to it. If Jim Cameron, the man who personally shot much of that footage, wanted to use any of the 2001 footage for another Titanic project, he would have to offer Walden and Disney a certain price and observe whatever conditions/restrictions the studios would attach to their approval.

Continuing with this scenario, once the release of the footage was succesfully negotiated, Cameron would then have to divert the resources at Earthship to the editing and assembling of the thousands of hours worth of raw footage (some of which is unusable to even the most dedicated rivet-counters) into a useable product. This includes the transfer of digital imagery to film stock or DVD format. This effort would hinder his Earthship staff in their completion of ongoing projects (like "Aliens of the Deep," which is being released in January) and future endeavours.

This is not to say that Cameron has no intention of bringing that imagery to the public. He is actively exploring opportunities that would allow the raw footage to be made available to the public, but given Walden's and Disney's proprietary rights to the material, it will be some time before an agreement will be reached.

Ken Marschall had to negotiate with Walden Media and Disney for the release of selected images to put together the "Outtakes" articles for the Commutator. I, too, had to negotiate with Walden and Disney to build upon the CG models that I helped to create for GotA. It's a tricky business and unless the studios fail to see a potential market return in the material they hold, it's almost impossible to get their approval for independent release.

So, I can tell you that Jim Cameron knows of the interest in the community for the release of the raw footage and has a personal desire to secure its release for the benefit of historians, researchers and educators. It's also important to note that he would ideally like to see to it that the footage would be free to those interested, but that will depend on how the negotiations go. He has no interest in making money off a public release of the 2001 expedition footage, but the studios that own the footage would, so therein lies the rub.

P.S. The occasion of my talk with Jim and Andrew this past weekend was the cast & crew screening of "Aliens of the Deep," which is an amazing new documentary of the kind that only Jim can do. I recommend it to everyone when it is released to theatres next month.

Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.