Cameron's stupid film

Charles

May 30, 1999
USA
It's not stupid, I would have liked to see more sets that I did not see. Among these is the E Deck grand staircase foyer , the closest to this is the elevator foyer. The other closest we can get is in James Cameron Titanic Explorer, which shows a deleted scene from the movie of steerage passengers frantically running through D Deck and pass the grand staircase candelabra as water began to flood the area.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I wouldn't call it a "stupid" film, but there were a few things that really pissed me off besides the historical goofs.
The worst thing was when Rose left her wooden debris to look for a way to summon help. She almost dies, like Cameron wants me to believe she's not going to make it as well. Why turn it into such a narrow escape when it wasn't necessary?
3 hour and 14 minute movie wastes time building tension about whether or not Rose will live when we already know she does because she's telling the story.

J

Jack Dawson

I think that was more or less intended to show us that Rose had finally understood what Jack was about all along. When we really see Rose (where they first meet) with her guard down, she is scared and has lost the will to live out her life as others had defined it for her. Jack showed her how wrong she was to even think that, and how wrong it was to give up without living life to the fullest. She kept her promise to him, to live out a full life and be herself. In the scene where she goes for the whistle, we see that she is now wanting to continue living the new life she has discovered with the help of Jack.

But I do hear what you are saying. I don't think it's as bad as the original British edition of 'Moby Dick' though, where they omitted the epilogue entirely leaving reviewers wondering how no one survived to narrate the entire story to us.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Personally, I liked the film for what it was.

But we are dealing with Hollywood and money. The studios often take a real event, maybe twist it here and there, and add a story with fictional characters.

Look at all the stuff coming out regarding 911.
he did try to make it as accurate as he could, he said, off of what they knew at the time

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Personally I think of "Titanic" (1997 and 1953 ) and "A Night To Remember" (1958) as sorts of stage plays.

"Titanic" (1997) ? So what ? If the plot and actors leave a bit to be desired, what a terrific set of props on the stage !

As for "Titanic" (1953) ? Just the opposite...the stage settings and "historical accuracy" do leave a bit to be desired but the actors do come up with some snappy lines.

"A Night to Remember" (1958) ?. A better blend of both acting and "historical accuracy " (give or take a few ) and sets. If only it was in color !

Preface all of the above with "IMHO". LOL.
its on youtube

May 3, 2005
Yes, there is a colorized version of "A Night To Remember". Most of it is fairly well done but there are some "rough spots" as some critics have remarked. But overall IMHO it's worth the watching.
And I don't consider the 1997 "Titanic" or any of the other "Titanic" movies as "stupid".
You just have to take the bad or "stupid" parts, but they all do have at least one redeeming "smart" part.
I can't recall ever seeing a movie that didn't have at least one "stupid" part and at least one "smart" part in it....And I am a sort of an inveterate "nit-picking nit-picker"…......LOL

"If you get a good omelette, who cares about the chicken ?"

Just in remarking..... I don't remember ever seeing sloppy sailors looking like one of those in the "Caine Mutiny" during my admittedly short sea duty in the USN. How revolting ! How insulting ! ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
Will

I'm sure you look Awesome to use a phrase from my 1980's-90's youth. I'm sure Will, you could hold your own any day of the week against those prima donnnas

Robert-

That's a thought. Frankly though Hays was short and we want to be historically accurate. Film Actors are mostly petite anyways.​
I will have to take another look at it to be sure........but....
In the 1953 "Titanic", the actress playing the part of "Madeline Astor" looks as tall - or maybe even a bit taller- than the actor playing the part of "John Jacob Astor"?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Yes, there is a colorized version of "A Night To Remember". Most of it is fairly well done but there are some "rough spots" as some critics have remarked. But overall IMHO it's worth the watching.
And I don't consider the 1997 "Titanic" or any of the other "Titanic" movies as "stupid".
You just have to take the bad or "stupid" parts, but they all do have at least one redeeming "smart" part.
I can't recall ever seeing a movie that didn't have at least one "stupid" part and at least one "smart" part in it....And I am a sort of an inveterate "nit-picking nit-picker"…......LOL

"If you get a good omelette, who cares about the chicken ?"

Just in remarking..... I don't remember ever seeing sloppy sailors looking like one of those in the "Caine Mutiny" during my admittedly short sea duty in the USN. How revolting ! How insulting ! ;-)
I agree! ANTR is really good, even better in color. Always thought smith looks a bit younger, but thats just me