Cameron's Titanic or the Mini Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tania Jones

I know many here detest Cameron's Titanic and the Mini Series, but if you had to vote between the two, which one would you say was the worst one?

I'd have to say the Mini Series myself. Although Cameron's Titanic was FAR from perfect, the Mini Series was just dire.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Ah, now come on...how could you get past great lines like 'The past is the past...irretrievable!' Or the Catherine Zeta-Jones/Harold Lowe exchange on the Carpathia that ran something like:

Catherine: 'The sea is so big...isn't it. It makes one feel...so small.'

Lowe: 'It's good, ma'am, that we don't know how things is going to end in the beginning. Otherwise, we'd never set out on the journeys that we were meant to take in this life.'

Catherine: 'You're a good man, Mr. Lowe. What I mean to say is...you're a good sailor.'

Earlier exchange was good - Lowe declaring he wasn't about to loose his stripes on the first night out. The original script was even better - Lowe mentions that doing so would break his record of losing them the second day out. The Lowe have given me copies of years worth of written references for Harold prior to joining the WSL, and it's safe to say that he wouldn't have been taken up by the WSL if he had any sort of record that saw him busted down a rank or two on the second day at sea.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
The miniseries, hands down. Only good thing about it was Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Inger, I agree, the exchange between Harold Lowe and Catherine Zeta-Jones is worth noting, although it may be the only one. I can't remember any other memorable lines.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I really can't say much positive about either one. I think because there is consensus on the badness of the miniseries, I tend to by default have harsher feelings about Cameron because it is so highly praised. Nonetheless, the historical errors in the miniseries are outrageous and were not the product of the original writer, Ross LaManna, whose original script did not have most of these inaccuracies (his script did have Andrews for instance).

I do however think Lennie Niehaus's haunting main theme is much superior to Horner's music for Cameron.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Hands down, the miniseries was the worst. Historically it was inaccurate from the beginning. I know the Jack and Rose fictional tale, but in the CBS miniseries, Tim Curry (the great Tim Curry) portrayed a steward who raped a third class passenger. Lines were attributed to incorrect people, and so forth. At least Cameron had scores of historical tidbits hidden between the King of the World lines (Spedden and the top, etc)

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I don't know - I'd like to see goddawful script lines like 'The past is the past...irretrievable!' duke it out with 'So I guess you could say I'm just a tumbleweed blowing in the wind...'

Whaddayamean you didn't like Tim Curry, Bill? The sheer relish with which he tells the Jack Dawson wannabe 'You're a dead duck' almost makes the miniseries worthwhile. The scenery is chewed, spat out, and then chewed again! Irretrievably! But it's good that we don't know how things are going to end when we set out, otherwise we'd be tumbleweeds blowing in the wind rather than kings of the world...

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I am an avid Tim Curry fan. Clue, It, of course the RHPS just to name a few. But I wasn't fond of him portraying a steward who became a rapist. That was historically inaccurate, demeaning, etc. I compare it with Cameron's Murdoch taking a bribe, shooting a passenger (poor Tommy), then himself. If those scenes/plot lines were altered, maybe I'd feel differently.

I do know that the miniseries was the first to show the CG Titanic as she sailed, and it was impressive. Cameron's movie was more impressive.

I also get that fuzzy feeling during the all time classic.... Raise the Titanic. When the grand lady crests the surface, I still sit breathlessly as it breaks the water and comes to float on the surface.

I guess the mention of the RHPS shows my age, doesn't it Inger?? LOL!

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Not in Hollywood! LOL!! The USA had to acquire the only known quantity of Byzanium for the secretive Sicillian defense project. No cost was too high!

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Lol!

"Let's do the time walk agaaaain...or you're a dead duck, laddie!" (did he actually conclude that miniseries line with 'laddie?' or is my imagination adding that final glorious detail to it?)

It was an atrocious addition to the script, and I think folks have viewed it with confusion ever since. Why was it necessary to add a rape scene? How did the script writing session go? 'You know, this big ship sinking on its maiden voyage taking 1,500 people to their deaths just isn't dramatic enough. I know we've got pathos, drama, love and all sorts of real-life dramatic incidents to choose from, but I think we can improve on it. See, there's this steward...' etc etc.

Jul 11, 2001
quote:

Byzanium for the secretive Sicillian defense project

Oooo! That gives me a great idea for a future Ebay listing!
proud.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
"Raise the Titanic? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic?".

That was one of the "kinder" critiques of the 1980 film.
The classic critique of Raise the Titanic was the one "If they ever do Raise the Titanic, they should heave this film overboard, to take its place".

We can all debate which film we'd toss in to the North Atlantic.

I'd volunteer to throw in the miniseries, especially with Captain Smith transforming himself into George S. Patton, and Ismay being the one to offer a space in the lifeboat to Isidor Strauss.
And let's hear it for Molly Brown coming on board the ship at Southampton (but then historical accuracy would have ruined that scene between Catherine Zeta Jones and Eva Marie Saint).

Finally, how many ships "really" signaled to Titanic on the night of April 10, 1912, about ice warnings, when the ship was in the English Channel.

Now all we have to do is get ourselves cast as Titanic's passengers and crew, to make an historically accurate portrayal of the ship's voyage.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Byzanium for the secretive Sicillian defense project....
Oooo! That gives me a great idea for a future Ebay listing!
Unfortunately, the movie ruined that plot line, too, by suggesting that the plans were to make a Byzantium bomb for the US, to allow the "let's leave it here" line at the end of the film.

If I were Clive Cussler, I'd be checking with an attorney to see if it's possible to create a "lifelong ban on making my books in to movies" clause for his will.

Now I'll start a separate thread for the "ET TITANIC Film Cast"
grin.gif

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
"Now I'll start a separate thread for the "ET TITANIC Film Cast"

Not being serious here.
Who on ET would fill a part in a Titanic Movie?
Quartermaster M. Standart as a lookout. Don't forget to pack your Binoculars and thermals.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
.......left what out what I wanted to post to start with.
George C. Scott was a great Captain Smith.
He also did do a good Scrooge. (a christmas carol)

Status
Not open for further replies.