-Mauritania
-Aquitania

*White Star Line*

-Olympic
-Titanic
-Britannic

*HAPPAG LOYD*

-Kaiser Whilehelm Der Grosse
(this is my weak area..what were the names of all the other 4 funneled German liners?

*Union Castle Line*

-Winsdor Castle
-Union Castle

plus there were a number of 4 funneled Navy vessels at the turn of the 20th century...

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Deutchsland
Kronprizessin Cecilie
Kronprinz Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm II

and The France

and from Italy the aborted Andrea Doria and Camillo di Cavour of 1912.

Feb 14, 2011
An EXCELLENT book dealing with the 4 funneled liners is called "Majesty At Sea".
Anyone ever read this book? There is a dramatic photo of one of the Union Castle liners going down....

Tarn Stephanos

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Some scattered thoughts inspired by what's above:

All of the four-funneled passenger liners are shown on Great Ships, most with their biographies.

The two U-C four-stackers were Windsor Castle and Arundel Castle, both of which were later reduced to two funnels.

Of the German four-stackers, Deutschland belonged to Hapag; the other four were North German Lloyd's.

Majesty at Sea is a wonderful book, one of my favorites.

The sinking four-stacker Tarn refers to is Windsor Castle.

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the info Mark...Im very rusty on my German 4 stacker history...

For some reason the Union Castle line 4 stackers looked very strange....Too many funnels for such small ships....

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 11, 2001
Jack Shaum- who wrote Majesty at Sea used to be a reporter on the Baltimore Sun- he lectured at my local Steamship Historical Society chapter in Seekonk Mass back in the early 80's. This society has the best and largest steamship and steamboat collection in the world at the U of Baltimore. Jack wrote this long before liners became trendy -and there were not many resources around- very nice guy as well as a terrific writer.

Apr 23, 2002
I own Majesty at Sea: The Four Stackers - it is a great read. I bought it from Amazon.

The 14 Four Stackers:

Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse
Kronprinz Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Kronprinzessin Cecile
Deutshcland
Lusitania
Mauretania
Aquitania
Olympic
Titanic
Britannic
France
Arundel Castle
Windsor Castle

Sep 2, 2009
Just a quick comment about the once four stacker everyone forgets - Although she started her life a a five stacker. And was later converted to a four stacker, during her cable laying days.

One of the greatest ocean-liners ever built in the 19th century. The "Great Eastern"

Feb 14, 2011
I can't beleive i forgot the France...
I believe she completed her maiden voyage within a week of the Titanic sinking, hence the story of Titanic overshadowed France's arrival-
Just as Aquitania had her maiden voyage around the time of the sinking of the Empress Of Ireland..
The France had one of the most beatiful dining rooms I have ever seen on her ship- Her grand staircase was nice, but a tad cramped..
I had read she rolled something fierce even in mild waters...

tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Carpathia Ivernia Slavonia Scythia Samaria Laconia Lancastria Andania Antonia Ausonia Franconia Carinthia Aurania Ascania Alaunia Media Parthia Caronia Saxonia Ivernia Carinthia Sylvania Carmania Franconia QE2 Cameronia Tuscania California Canopic Megantic Calgaric Californian Winifredian Devonian Marburn Marloch Montreal Empress of Australia Empress of Britain Empress of England Empress of Canada Athenia Letitia Orbita Orduna Orca .....
happy.gif

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
Does anyone have any information on two four-funneled ships that the Italians were planning to build? How far along in planning the liners were they?

G

Guest (R17)

That was interesting there was one I had not heard of which was the Arundel Castle!

Jan 21, 2003
I heard that there was suppose to be a four funneled Andrea Doria. I use to have the plans of what she was suppose to look like but she would have had 4 funnels.

Jim Wilke

Jul 12, 2004
Chris, thanks for mentioning the Seeandbee - I just found a photo of her three days ago. I had no idea a four stacker was at work on the lakes, but a liner she is -

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Chris- the Four Funnelled Andrea Doria and Camillo di Cavour of 1912 were postponed indefinitely due to the war. After the war, what would have been Camillo di Cavour was completed but not as a four stacker. Would you like me to send you the plans again?