Canadian Pacific what happenend to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
i know they were still going in the 1960s and the railway is still going but what about the shipping company?

D

Daniel Odysseus

Well, this is just a guess, but when planes became big, they probably couldn't make it... Perhaps they just decided to concentrate on their railway industry...

G

Gavin Murphy

.........actually Dave they are ocean-going carriers of......cargo. CP Ships is based in both UK and Bermuda.....but not Canada......never were. Historically their ships were staffed with British officers.......

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Digging deeper, I see that in October 2001, CPR was split into five independent companies. One of them is CP Ships. That's why the site I found only has railways. CP Ships is at http://www.cpships.com where there is a sketchy history of the company.

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi James,
I sailed on a CP ship in 1986, her name was, (Is?) M.V.Fort Nelson. She was under U.K. Registry, as a bulk carrier, her officers were all British , and her crew were Indian.
At the time the officers were feeling under pressure to join a Hong Kong Co. which may or not have been called C.P. (Or anything like it).
Most of the guys I sailed with thought the pressure meant, "move or you ""may"" lose your job". I know for a fact that some ships, at least, moved over to the H.K. Flag, along with some of the Officers I sailed with. At the time there was no mention of any switch to the Bermuda flag, but there again I`m going back to the 80`s and an awful lot of things can & have changed in the last 16 years --- ( Can they ever !!!)

Best Regards

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.