Canadian sub may head to Arctic without iceavoidance sonar

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Ottawa Citizen:
quote:

HALIFAX – A Halifax-based submarine could be sailing to the Arctic this summer without equipment that one expert says is vital to pinpoint icebergs.
Documents obtained under the Access to Information Act show HMCS Corner Brook faces several capability deficiencies when it comes to the pending voyage, including a lack of ice-avoidance sonar, which is not fitted into Canada’s four Victoria-class subs.
“It’s certainly not something that’s going to stop us from deploying or being able to get up there and do business,” Cmdr. Randy Truscott, the officer responsible for sub operations on the East Coast, said in an interview.
But not having the multi-beam sonar could limit how far north Corner Brook will be able to travel this summer, said Truscott, who continues to lobby for money to buy the equipment.
“Having the sonar . . . falls in the category of desirable, so I’m not going to stop pushing the folks in Ottawa, hell no,” he said. “It’s not my job to make their life easy."
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=242c526b-7030-4380-b571-f9f94de2b2c1&k=63703

Comment: Let me get this straight: They're considering sending a representative of a troubled class of submarine to do work in a dangerous region without the proper equipment to do so. Does anybody think this is really such a swift idea?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Michael

Welcome to the Canadian Armed Forces. No, it doesn't make sense, but that's never stopped them before.
But why they would put the crew's life at risk, for what is probably political points in what will surely be an election year, is beyond me.

It's almost as if the Silly Servants at DND have modeled the navy after the Farley Mowat book "The Boat that wouldn't float".
And I mention Silly Servants, because no self respecting Navy man could ever be that political, or stupid.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Welcome to the Canadian Armed Forces. No, it doesn't make sense, but that's never stopped them before.<<

I can think of quite a few Canadian citizens who have said much the same thing. One guy I see on the About.com Military Forum keeps making references to "Fort Fumble" and I don't think it's because that's the actual name. It helps to know that he's a retired Canadian military officer with a 39 year long career.

>>"The Boat that wouldn't float". <<

And interesting turn of phrase considering that this class of submarine has earned a sinister reputation for wanting to go down and not want to come back up again. For some silly reason, the crews of these boats don't much care for that endearing quality.

Can't imagine why, can you?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Michael

Good to see that someone has the same sense of humour as I do.
My partners brother in law spent many years in the Navy, or the "Sea Element" when they combined them. He was based out of Halifax, and tours were regularly postponed or cut short due to the age of the vessels. He was actually in the 1991 Gulf War on one of the newer vessels, and had nothing good to say about it. When I say newer, I mean early 1960's vintage.
In a war zone? Were they freakin nuts?
At least now all of the surface vessels have been replaced, or are in the process of being replaced.

All 3 of them. (and yes, that's sarcasm)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What can I say? Anyone with the intelligence level of a brain dead gnat can see that the Canadian Navy's worst enemy is the Canadian government.

To a point, I can understand some of it since the only nation on the face of the Earth which has both the military and the logistical assets to invade Canada is the United States of America. However, one has to wonder what they hope to contribute to any coalitions that the government deems in it's national interest to support. Further, one has to wonder how quickly they could build up if the world situation changes to such a degree that they realize they need to extra muscle.

Navies take a long time to build up when needed and the skills needed to maintain any sort of fleet are highly perishable.