Canopic

May 20, 2005
In the 1970's I worked at

In the 1970's I worked at a restaurant called "The Canopic" in Mumbles, Swansea (S.Wales) UK. It took it's name from the interior wood panelling (and I believe the pillars) taken from the RMS Canopic. I was told she was a "Sister" ship of the Titanic, but older, and much smaller. The restaurant had allegedly been built to accommodate the wood interior of either the first or second class dining room. It was late Victorian, Edwardian in style, and sober- not particularly ornate. I wonder if anyone can tell me when the Canopic was broken up,or refitted, and how this interior came to be transported to Mumbles? I believe the restaurant is still there, but cannot vouch for the interior. Many thanks!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
That certainly sounds like som

That certainly sounds like something worth looking into, Nigel. MAB would be the man with the answers on this one - he'll probably have more to add here, but his write up on the Canopic can be found at:

http://www.greatships.net/canopic.html

He notes that 'After being laid up for six months, Canopic was sold for scrapping at Briton Ferry, Wales, in the fall of 1925.'

A quick google seems to suggest that the Canopic became the 'Aroma' restaurant, and was closed by 2004 - is this the restaurant, Nigel?

http://www.themumblesbook.co.uk/news/archivedecember2004.htm

The Mumbles themselves interest me, as I have a friend whose grandfather was an engineer on the Samtampa. You would know about the tragic 1947 Mumbles lifeboat disaster, where lifeboat attempting to rescue the men of the Samtampa capsized with the loss of both lifeboat crew and the Samtampa men.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Nigel and Ing---

Unf

Hello, Nigel and Ing---

Unfortunately, what I have on Great Ships is all I know about Canopic's fate, and I know nothing about the disposition of furniture, woodwork or the like. I would imagine, based on what little I know of what happened to the interiors of other liners, that there was a public sale which may have been advertised and publicized in local newspapers, but I have no details of when or where that might have been in Canopic's case.

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
I have been in contact with a

I have been in contact with a most helpful gentleman in Mumbles and he has sent me the following e-mails. I will post anymore information he sends me and hopefully a picture or two.

I am told that the restaurant, while trading, had flock wallpaper, so have no information about wooden panelling at this address.

Years ago the restaurant used to be called 'The Canaopic', and it so happens that the ship of this name had panelling that was eventually sold to the pub in Mumbles called the 'White Rose'.

I thought I would mentioned it in case that story was confused in any way.

Sorry I could not help.

John Powell

It was only a guess, but I thought that it was a possibility.

My sister-in-law's, son in law is the son of the Licensee, now retired (sorry-no other way to explain it) when the panels from the ship called the Canopic were installed in the White Rose Pub by BASS the brewery, many years ago, when they extended into next door, on the corner of Newton Road.
There are several pictures on the www.themumblesbook.co.uk website of the White Rose during various stages of its development, but none with the extension.
Use the sites search engine for Newton Road,The Dunns and in a WW2 article the Pub is in both pictures. During a very early stage it is in a general view of the Mumbles, from the castle, shown on the sign as ROSE as the WHITE was unable to be seen.

Dear Adam,
I have permission from the landlady to photograph the panelling inside the White Rose and asked to return when it was quieter, there were people sitting in front of it, all around the room during a busy Bank Holiday Saturday.
The lady behind the bar said that she understood that the BAR of the ship Canopic was at the old Canopic Restaurant.
It would seem logical with a restaurant of the same name, so I will check up on this. The problem is that the place seems deserted.

The quickest way seem to be for Derek Williams, the news editor of www.themumblesbook.co.uk to ask his son, 'Nino', at the Evening Post newspaper to run a story on the panelling, and ask the questions, what was there, and where is it now?
He said he 'will ask my reporter son if he has any investigative powers'

This chap Nigel is also asking Derek at monterosa about the same subject, see below.
And has a some info on the subject.
What happened between 1925 and the pub installing some of the panelling in 1970s?
Did it come from the Restaurant?

John Powell
Programme Secretary
Oystermouth Historical Association

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
John was kind enough to send a

John was kind enough to send a picture of the panelling in the pub which i have copied below . He is still trying to find out if the bar in the restaurant is also from the Canopic.
97099.jpg

May 20, 2005
Hello-
All those times I used

Hello-
All those times I used to go in the white rose Mumbles, I never realised that the panelling was from "Canopic!". I left Mumbles about twenty five years ago, and recall clearly that the restaurant- "The Canopic" where I worked in the 70's had wood panelling, there was some wallpaper about, but mainly wood similar in colour to that illustrated in the White Rose, but much plainer- not so ornate. Very pleased to discover the White Rose has the ornate panels, as I feared the old Canopic Restaurant might by now have been demolished, and their panels thrown in a skip!

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
I have pasted below the latest

I have pasted below the latest e-mail john has sent me - I will ask him to keep an eye on the building to make sure the demolition contractors don't burn anything that may be hidden from view.

I am sorry to report that there is no sign of the bar on the site of the Canopic Restaurant, which is now closed and awaiting development as a block of flats..
My informant, Paul, says that while it was an Indian Restaurant it never had a bar of that description, of course, he worked in the White Rose, as the son of the landlord, so he knows the style of work you are looking for.
It is possible that-? Now I will look into this further and let you know.

May 20, 2005
I've double checked with a

I've double checked with a friend who worked at the Canopic restaurant with me in the 1970's- she too recalls being told that the wood panelling on the walls was taken from a ship named "Canopic", and we both recall it as being fairly plain wood, and certainly not "flock" wallpaper at that time.
I think there is confusion over "the bar"- I took the original posting to mean that wood panels (wall panels) from the ship's bar might have been used as the restaurant's wall panelling- not an actual bar as such. The restaurant never had a bar while I worked there. There were large sideboards that were similar in colour to the panels, but I can't say that they "came with the set" so to speak. I'm very pleased someone is keeping an eye on the place as, for all I know they may have boarded over the walls after my time!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Yep. The word "Canopic&#3

Yep. The word "Canopic" is the adjectival form of "Canopus," an ancient Egyptian seaport, and a Canopic jar is a vessel in which the organs of mummified corpses were placed. Presumably, the ship's name derived from the city, not the jars.

CarmarthenLad

Jan 11, 2014
I can confirm Nigel's belief that the wood panelling and some of the furniture in the Canopic Grill in Mumbles was from the SS Canopic. The restaurant was owned by my now deceased great-uncle, who named it after the ship precisely because of the origin of the panels and some of the furniture.

I don't know if any photos survive in the extended family archive, I will ask around.