Cap Arcona 1945 to 1949

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
So the Cap Arcona's wreck sat from 1945 to 1949 when it was disassembled. Does anybody know of any photos that show its wreck? I am guessing it was mostly submerged, and that people were evenly spread throughout the ship when it was sunk, hence the high loss of life.

Thanks,
Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Wow, it turned on its side. Pretty dramatic.
sad.gif

Too bad the site is in German at the moment. I can pick out parts, though.

I guess the title of the site is a little misleading. It features a lot of liners that never sank. Its very thorough -- I'm browsing the Queen Mary section and haven't ever seen a lot of these photos.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Ryan: Find the book 100 Year Secret. Written by one of the 350 or so survivors, it is quite a grim work but also a necessary read.

>and that people were evenly spread throughout the ship when it was sunk, hence the high loss of life.

The people mostly died of exposure. A number were killed by "friendly fire" from the British planes who were not aware (or so they said) of whom they were strafing in the water, and a large number of thise who swam ashore were rounded up and executed by members ofthe S.S., cadets from a local military school, and civilians who would later claim they were told that the cap Arcona survivors were "dangerous criminals." That ANYONE survived was due to the arrival of British land forces and subsequent flight of the S.S.

Mar 5, 2001
Hi Ryan!

Yes our site is only german. The reason is that our english is not good enought to translate all our work.

The Title "LostLiners" means not that all Liners on our site sunk. The time of these Liners is lost...the mnost of this Liners don't exist more.

Jim - That's interesting. I had the impression that the SS troops were standing on the beach, shooting the survivors as they came out of the water.

Is it true that the Nazis had intended on sinking it along with the Thielbeck and Deutschland in the Baltic with the prisoners on board?

The bombing/sinking of the Cap Arcona (multiplied with its connection to the Titanic) is really fascinating. Are there any books, sections in books or sizeable magazine articles in English about the incident?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Is it true that the Nazis had intended on sinking it along with the Thielbeck and Deutschland in the Baltic with the prisoners on board?

Most likely.

The book I mentioned, The 100 Year Secret, is by survivor Benjamin Jacobs. A very grim book, but not to be missed!

Here are some Arcona images from my collection.

http://www.garemaritime.com/gallery.php?s=15

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Cap Arcona was used in the making of the German film of Titanic in 1943.

It would take an expert on the ship to work out exactly how much she was used. I suspect it was mostly used for the scenes on deck.

Mar 5, 2001
Thats Correct Dave. Most Scenes on Deck where filmed on the Cap Arcona when she was at Gotenhafen.

Some Years ago i speak with Heinz Schoen, a survivor of the Wilhelm Gustloff. He tell me that Crewmember of the Gustloff was used in the Film. The Gustloff was at this time also at Gotenhafen. So serval Crewmembers become 5 Deutsche Mark and for this they must jump into the water from the Deck of the Cap Arcona.

it was like a Training for the Desaster...they played a little role at the sinking of the Titanic and Month later both the Gustloff and the Cap Arcona sunk...

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Cap Arcona was used in the making of the German film of Titanic in 1943.

YES! I remember that now.

Thorsten -- wow, that's downright surreal

Great photos and article, Jim. That book is a must-have.

I've wondered about how much of the interior of the Cap Arcona was used for the film. The grand staircase/ballroom set was quite impressive, but obviously a set. The photos of the interior are lovely.

This page (at the bottom) has some info on diving the area that it sank. Still some debris to be seen:

http://www.divernetxtra.com/travel/germ798.htm