Capt Moore of Mount Temple

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
The Washington Times, 27 April 1912
92179.jpg

CAPT. JAMES HENRY MOORE
Master of the steamer Mt. Temple, who explained iceberg tests in testimony before Senate today.

perezellen

Mar 16, 2016
SS Mount Temple was a Canadian Pacific Lines cargo ship that was sunk during the First World War by the German commerce raider.In 1916, while crossing the Atlantic with horses for the war effort and carrying a large number of newly collected dinosaur fossils, she was captured and scuttled complete with her cargo.The SS Mount Temple set out on 3 April 1912 under the command of Captain James Henry Moore, setting sail from Antwerp bound for St John's, New Brunswick, transporting over 1400 immigrants to Canada. Moore was a highly experienced ship's master with over 30 years logged at sea.

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
i am fascinated about capt. henry moore of the mount temple. he claimed in the us enquiry that he saw a si gle funneled schooner coming from the direction of the titanic and he estimatec it to be13.5 kiles from the position of the titanic whichnis where he wax headed. he also stated that he heard its horn and took evasive manouvers to avoid a collision stating that the schooner was about 1.5 kils rom his ship.
do you have any additional information about this claim.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Ajmal, this claim is largely used as fodder for other theories for the 'mystery ship' like the Samson; however, Captain Moore is the only person who testifies to seeing a 'schooner' at any point on the night of the sinking. Indeed, no other ship in the immediate area--neither Carpathia or Californian--reported seeing that ship, and no other ship steaming towards the sight of the sinking during the early morning and during the day of the 15th reported seeing a schooner.

Captain Moore's testimony is very questionable, and leads one to believe he is hiding something. What that is, I am personally unsure. Again I recommend the book Trial of Mount Temple if you have not read it already. That is the only book on that covers in detail the actions of Mount Temple during the Titanic sinking and after, and is very well researched.