Captain Lord and the Californian Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2002
Sorry-

I missed Dave's post, is this what everyone else seems to think?

To your question Dave, IMO the average person is not trained to judge the distance between things, but wouldn't the crew have been trained to. The ones that worked for years on the sea would be able to, don't you think.

Melinda

Sep 20, 2000
Adam wrote: "MY great thread is dead!!!"

"No, no. He's just pinin' for the fjords." ;^)
[Courtesy: M. Python]

I'm with Dave pretty much on the above. It's a wonder Smith ever suggested "rowing towards the light" in boats that were so severely undermanned. (Pretty tough assignment for a lifeboat big enough to hold 65 people without sufficient rowers.)

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Melinda, in 1912 the standard of seamanship was very low. Seamen began as Ordinary Seamen and if they behaved themselves for three years they were rated as Able Seamen. As Ordinary Seamen spent their time on sweeping decks, polishing brass and suh housework, the standard was low. I make some exception for those with Royal Navy training, of which Titanic had a few.

The officers had more idea of what they were doing. You should see the exams they passed! All the same, judging the distance of a light is extremely difficult and even the officers were fallible.

Smith's order is so silly that I wish it had not been made, but it's as well documented as anything that happened that night. Sometimes we seek logic where none exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.