Captain Smith's mirror

Mar 28, 2002
It was reported in the Express and Star (my local evening newspaper) that a silver-edged mirror that once belonging to Captain Smith was going under the hammer at Hagley Hall sometime this week, expecting to fetch £300. Not literally under the hammer though. Apparently it was given to a housekeeper from Wolverhampton in lieu of holiday pay or something.

Mar 28, 2002
Morning all,

I found the story out again: 12th April edition.

"SPOOKY TITANIC FIND GOES UNDER HAMMER"
(Paraphrasing): Stourbridge-based Fieldings Auctioneers are selling a silver easel mirror reputedly belonging to Captain Smith which was found in former Wolverhampton woman Ida Goodman's home in Manchester during a house clearance. Alongside the mirror was a small brown envelope dated 1922 with a handwritten note-

Wood View Terrace
Handsworth Mills
Cleckheaton

Dear Ida
As I promised you last week, I can tell you the history of that silver mirror I gave you.
Ethelwynne, my sister-in-law, who you have met, was the houskeeper to the late Captain Smith, who went down with his ship, the Titanic.
When he died in that terrible accident she was allowed to have any one item of his personal property as a keepsake and for unpaid wages. She chose that silver mirror which had been on his dressing table, which is the same one I gave you.
She always spooked me when she said that at times she could still see Captain Smith's face in it on the anniversary of when the Titanic was sunk.

Lots of love
Hilda

There was no reserve price but Fieldings issued a guide price of £200 to £300. The auction was held at Hagley Hall at 10am on the 13th April. I'm going to phone in an hour to see how much it went for.

Cheers,
Boz

Mar 28, 2002
Update on the above.
The mirror sold for £900 and was bought by a Stourbridge-based clairvoyant and pyschic named D'Aaron.
Well, how's about that then?