Captain Smith's Personal effects

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
I looked and I have not seen this posted before.
If it has, then, my apologies.
i wonder why we see so few personal items that belonged to Captain Smith?
Was his family extremely private?
After a career of 40 years at sea, his family must've had quite a collection from his career.
Is there a museum that has many of Captain Smith's personal belongings on display?
I have been unable to locate one.
In fact, I have never seen any.
Thanks in advance!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Captain Smith's dress sword is in Sea City Museum in Southampton. I have a copy of his Extra Master certificate, so that's around somewhere. Anybody else found anything?

Reactions: 1 user
William - you might want to check this in-depth biography on Smith here: Titanic's Officers - RMS Titanic - Captain E.J. Smith

In it, you will find a lot of information, as well as artefacts including
-his loving cup' inscribed “Captain E.J. Smith, 1875"
-Victorian locket belonging to his wife Eleanor, who wore this locket with her husband's photograph in it until her death in 1931
-letters he wrote
-his Board of Trade certificates
-newspaper articles
-film footage
- a large collection of photographs of Smith and family

It is constantly being updated and I have more documents to add in a future update, hopefully soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
There are plenty of books on Smith, but I do not own any books on Smith. Smiths direct blooline finished with his daughter, maybe that is the reason why? I know there is a family member of Smith on fb that came from either smiths half brother or sister. They even have the famous original face portrait of smith hanging up on their lounge room wall.

Aug 18, 2020
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
William - you might want to check this in-depth biography on Smith here: Titanic's Officers - RMS Titanic - Captain E.J. Smith

In it, you will find a lot of information, as well as artefacts including
-his loving cup' inscribed “Captain E.J. Smith, 1875"
-Victorian locket belonging to his wife Eleanor, who wore this locket with her husband's photograph in it until her death in 1931
-letters he wrote
-his Board of Trade certificates
-newspaper articles
-film footage
- a large collection of photographs of Smith and family

It is constantly being updated and I have more documents to add in a future update, hopefully soon.
Good stuff. Yes, his widow was struck and killed by a car in 1931, as I recall.