Car carrier Hyundai sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've sailed in that area and considering the sheer volumn of traffic that transits the straits of Singapore and Malacca, it's a wonder that accidents like this don't happen more often. I share your concerns on the potential for disaster with a cruise ship. There are some wide open spaces on these vessels that are the substance of nightmares for anyone who's concerned with damage control.

Jul 11, 2001
Hi guys,

Well, they salvaged the Tri-color and all thoses Volvos that sank. Now I suppose we will need to watch out for Hyundais with mud is their glove compartments! As you said, "No great loss"! I would much rather have seen them recover those Ghia bodied Chrysler show cars that were in the Andrea Dorias cargo hold.

David in Hartford

rob scott

May 4, 2004
how does this Happen in this modern age?!
even in the Singapore roads.. with today's modern rdf/adf and new radars and gps and traffic control overlaps and redundancies.. I don't get it; are they going too fast?

Sometimes the skippers can't slow because of schedule pressures, no next promotion or layoffs; but the Stockholm one really should have slowed approaching a fog bank which could hold a ship.. and did, the Andrea Doria
sad.gif

But in today's age? this still happens?

Jul 11, 2001
Rob, True. Technology has improved. But much like the Titanic, humans can really foul up the situations real easy. I'd bet a weeks pay that the cause was an impatient officer who wanted to beat the other guy across the path.

These collisions remind me of the jumbo jets that colided on the Canary Islands several years ago. Technology didn't fail, just one mans patience to wait did. How much longer before we have another diaster like that? Now they are building double decker jumbo jets that will carry 500 or 600 passengers. These will be the futures Titanics.

David in Hartford

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
David, as I understand it, every one of the cars salvaged with the Tricolor ended up in the scrapper's furnace. No shocker here as by the time any one of them could be brought up, salt water would have done quite a number on them. I dont think the owners were interested in dealing with any potential liability problems that would arise either. I expect the same will happen with the cars on the Hyundai No. 105.

I just hope that the crew managed to get the thing out of the shipping channel. It'll still have to be brought up, but with all the traffic there, the potential for another accident involving the salvage teams are still fairly high.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
LIVE FROM SINGAPORE:

Really, the Malacca Straits is getting into a big mess here. Narrow waterways and low depth have caused numerous small scale accidents here in the previous years and now with the new threat of terrorism here, its no surprise that both the Singapore and the Malaysian governments are beginning to be paranoid about this area......

Hyundai mentions that their primary concern is not the cars (some are second-hand cars), which are fully insured, but to ensure that there are no environental pollution. Total cars lost : 4,191. The cars were bound for Germany.

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Michael!

Aw come on! Don't you want a sawed in half Volvo wagon? Hehehe! Wait a minute? Isn't it Hyundai that is running those TV commercials showing people driving just the front half of their cars? Hmmm....

David

Jul 11, 2001
Datsun 210? Yikes! You obviously don't live in New England. Those rusted out when Reagan was in office! (waits for the younguns on the board to ask:"Who is Reagan?" or better yet, "What is a Datsun?" LOL

David in Hartford

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I was lucky in that I've been driving the thing in much dryer climates. Were I living in the UK, I would probably have to get a new heap every few years, take my chances with the not so tender mercies of public transportation, or walk! As it stands, I've had good service out of the thing. The bodies may not hold up that well, but the engines are tough little buggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.