Car transport in dire straits

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>How does an 80 degree list sound?<<

Like somebody is having one very bad day! Apparently the crew has no idea where the water is coming in from, so my bet is that if there's a follow up story, it's going to be to report that the vessel was lost.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A somewhat larger version of the same photo can be viewed at http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=060725&cat=news&st=newsd8j312e81C&src=ap

The hull itself doesn't appear to be in bad shape but then some things aren't always that obvious. The Oceanos was sunk by something as dirt simple as a sea chest rupturing. Since the wastewater plumbing was not properly isolated, the waters which flooded in percolated throughout the ship by way of the sinks and the toilets.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Cougar Ace was launched in 1993. She's 55,328 GRT, which makes her one of the larger car transports. She has been known to carry more than 5,000 cars, usually between Japan and Canada or the eastern USA.

She sure is an amazing sight. At last report, she was still afloat.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>At last report, she was still afloat.<<

Somebody stands to make a bundle if they can salvage the ship. (Or lose their shirts in the attempt.) If nothing else, at least there would be something for the investigators to go over to find out what the cause of this was in the first place. Whether or not the ship herself would be written off as a constructive total loss is another matter.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

I guess its from the angle the photo is taken but she doesn't seem to be down in the water as if flooded. Its almost as though she is just having a lie down(tired maybe).....lol

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Whether she'll be still around when salvagers arrive is another thing.<<

It may depend on the weather as much as anything else. Even in the summertime, this stretch of water can get as downright nasty as any other, and with little or no warning.

Dec 3, 2005
I'd be tentative about salvaging her. If something goes and she starts flooding through her side we could have a 50,000 Ton steel boulder on our hands awful quickly. And she still seems unnaturally high in the water...I'll bet it was a major ballast malfunction.

Apr 27, 2005
Buoyancy floats could be attached to starboard, possibly stabilizing the ship, but working on such a platform in those seas would take more nerve than I have. Barges might be better supporting vessels.

W

Wayne Keen

Is it likely that all those cars are a jumbled mass on the "down side" of the ship. or do they pack them so well that they remain stacked?

I wonder what this will do the prices of new Mazdas? ;)

Wayne

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The cars are said to be chained down. I wonder whether this is possible to do without the cars being damaged at such an angle of heel.

Apr 27, 2005
On the other hand, Mazda parts should be cheaper. If the ship has flooded at all, those cars will find there way to the S.E. Asian market.
I hope they save her. It will be an interesting adventure in salvage and cost being weighed against loss.