Cardeza house to be demolished

Mar 15, 2001
This house is amazing. I saw it today. The huge oak trees for which the house was named (Great Oaks) are still surrounding the house. One strange thing I noticed while in the area, the town nearest Great Oaks besides Brown Summit, is the small town Montebello. Charlotte Cardeza's estate in Pennsylvania was named Montebello. I wonder if there is any connection here. The house to me looks structurally sound but it will need much work to restore it to its former glory. I do hope that it is not torn down to make way for the proposed shopping center. The house has a fireplace in every room including one of the bathrooms. Unheard of in North Carolina.

Mar 15, 2001
I have a question, is there anything about Mrs. Cardeza that describes her visits to North Carolina in any detail? I would love to read about that.

Apr 14, 2006
I think I can shed some light on the origins of the Cardezas. James Warburton Martinez-Cardeza was a first cousin of my great-great grandmother, Elizabeth Joseffa Martinez-Cardeza McDaniel. He was the son of James (Jaime) Martinez-Cardeza, born in Spain, and the former Barbara Jane Elizabeth Warburton, born in England -- hence the odd name. He was the grandson of a Spanish hidalgo, or nobleman, named Don Juan Martinez- Cardeza, a Spanish Government Official, in La Coruna, Galicia, Spain, and his wife, dona Margarita. This is why Charlotte Cardeza felt she could take the liberty of going around on the Titanic calling herself Lady Cardeza (dona=lady).
Hope this is helpful and clears up some confusion.