Carl Richard Warner

• Thread starter Carl Richard Warner
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl Richard Warner

Erm, hello everyone. I happened to mooch into the Encyclopedia Titanica some days ago - it seems enormously comprehensive, and wonderfully compelling, and has really caught my interest. From these discussion boards, I can see that the same can be said for a lot of people. If no-one minds, I have a couple of questions, to satisfy my recently aroused curiosity:

First, what nationalities contribute most regularly to this site, or seem more interested generally with the story of Titanic? From what I can gather (and I realise I may be very much mistaken), there seems to be a markedly greater degree of interest from the American side of the Atlantic. Can anyone explain the comparative lack of interest from Britain (with the obvious exception of survivor relatives)? I'm sure there's a sociology dissertation somewhere in there.

Second (and somewhat more personally), I was intrigued to read that Lawrence Beesley is an alumnus of Gonville and Caius college. As a recent history graduate (this summer, in fact) of St John's college, it occurred to me to ask whether anyone knows of any other passengers who also attended Cambridge (particularly St John's)? Come to think of it, I dimly remember reading somewhere of a woman aboard who went to Newnham, but I can't seem to relocate the reference.

I apologise if my latter query is a little specific, and of no great interest to anyone but myself; I just thought I'd ask.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this submission, and I hope that I'm not butting in on a on other people's discussions.

Yours, with regards,

Carl Warner

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo, Carl -

Welcome to the board :)

I don't think that there is more interest in the Titanic over the other side of the Pond - merely a larger population, hence a larger number of people, percentage wise, post from there. The site is, of course, owned and managed by one of our favourite 'Poms', Phil Hind himself. Geoff Whitfield is a marvelous representative of the BTS, to which many of us belong, and there are quite a few other British contributers.

Other nations are also well represented - there are quite a few Australians who post here regularly such as Dave, Andrew, Fiona (and myself, when I'm not claiming to be a Pom...as I do on occasion). Swedish, German, Portugal...folks from all over.

There's a tremendous interest in Britain, as the amount of tacky merchandise available over here would suggest. Although I will defend to the death my Titanic/shipping lines fridge magnet collection. But perhaps a better indicator would be the large number of Titanic titles that are published in the UK by publishers such as Patrick Stephens...all the way from Marcus' The Maiden Voyage to Dave Bryceson's excellent book about the coverage of the disaster in the British press.

All the best -

Inger

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Carl:
Welcome. There's much more history on your side of the pond. We just talk about it more over here in the colonies. I think Inger's right -- there's just more of us over here. Plus we all speak English of a sort. I'd be interested to see whether there are Titanic websites in German, for example.
Maybe Girton instead of Newnham. How about Elsie Edith Bowerman or her mother Mrs. Edith Chibnall?

Nov 2, 2000
Carl,

Welcome aboard! Don't know anything much about Beesley except that I find his writing style fascinating! His description of the way the engines sounded for instance really make you feel like you're on the voyage!

Michael.

C

Carl Warner

Thank you everybody for your kind and prompt replies, and your welcomes to the board; they were most appreciated. I fully concede the point that there is a great deal of interest in Titanic on both sides of the Atlantic, and I'd like to thank Mike for his reply to my second query.

Beesley's account does seem fascinating; you can be sure that it's next on my list, and when I pop back to Cambridge next week I'll see if I can find any extant records of him in Caius.

Inger, your point on British publications is well received. And after meandering through other topics of discussion on this board, I'm amazed that anyone could have such a comprehensive knowledge of Titanic. Very impressive.

So thanks to all.

Fridge magnets??

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Carl,

Welcome I am one of the salties on the board. A relief Captain for Carnival. I do apologize for not welcoming you sooner. Feel free to drain my brain there are several salties who are adding to the knowledge of protocal as well as telling stories of our own experiences which right now are in the New Age of Passenger Liners as well as my Introduce Yourself folder.

Erik

C

Carl Warner

Thanks Erik; this site must be a bit of a busman's holiday for you!

Yours,

Carl

J

joseph mack

Welcome Carl~
So when did you join?I've been here for a week.So you're in Britian?I'm in the States{west coast}.I quite disagree with your first question.
I think alot of Titanic history lives over there,cuz that's where it all started from.From Southhampton to NY.There are all kind sof conventions,meetings anna club gatherings in anna around England.Especially in the area of Southhampton.I've never attended these but when I wa sin a prior HF,that's basically all I heard in the posts.I know there's nada going on here on the west coast.But I know there's a THS,Inc in Indian Orchard,Mass.I belonged once.Not now.These are some of the things I envy.
So what strikes you the most about titanic?I'm into the ship,layouts,construction,deck plans,etc,the music of the era,people anna the sinking aspects.I am writting a romance novel based on the titanic but set in modern times.In march,I'm going to FOX studios to ride the titanic.That's in Oz!!!!!Whay books do you have?Ever heard of *anatomy of the titanic* anna a 1912 reprint called *the story anna wreck of the titanic{1998}*.
Hope we can keep in touch.Would like to know more about you anna the ship.

C

Carl Warner

Hello Joseph,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I haven't checked my "introduce yourself" folder for some time. I hope you have found the site as fascinating as I continue to do. I haven't posted for ages but I keep checking the threads and looking for a chance to write in. Sadly my knowledge in no way compares to the depth of understanding that most of these researchers exhibit, so I tend to remain an interested observer.

I totally agree with the views that you expressed above. There is a phenomenal degree of interest in the UK, as Inger pointed out to me some weeks ago.

In terms of my own interests, I'm not really sure what I find so compelling. My background is modern European history, with a particular emphasis on the cultural side of things. One of my most memorable papers concerned the cultural history of the first world war; Titanic seems to have the same myth-laden, iconic and culturally/emotionally charged status as the this conflict. And it's the human side of the story that I find so interesting.

I realise I could quickly book myself a weekly spot in pseuds corner if I carry on this ponderous explanation, but I do find it fascinating the way people react at such moments. And I've always been entertained by stories of the sea - ever since as a child I read CS Forester's "Hornblower" chronicles.

Regarding books, I'm afraid my collection is quite small. I recently got hold of "Titanic Voices", which I enjoyed immensely - once again this book proves your point, sumptuously published as it is by Southampton City Council! Other than this I possess the obligatory Walter Lord, Beesley's account and Ballard. I like the sound of "The Last Log of the Titanic" - probably my next buy.

I also like the fierce and sometimes petulant nature of some of the arguments on this board. Like true academics, some of the threads can get pretty venomous - the atmosphere is sometimes comfortingly like that of my ex-faculty; a melting pot of brilliant minds and ideas, and a veneer of pleasantness which is occasionally stripped to reveal a marvellous bitchiness. That's history for you. Watch the writs fly. Cool!

Anyway enough about me. Hope you are well,

Many regards,

Carl

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
ROTFL! First time I've heard anyone say anything nice about the odd fracas which breaks out here.

In re David Brown's book; I'd run to get it if I were you. It's one of the freshest and most thought provoking to come down the pike in a very long time. It's very readable, and written from the perspective of a seaman who does a good job of explaining some rather esoteric technical points about shiphandling.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.