Carpathia Bronze Crew Medal

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
The Rath lot included a number of original photographs and other documents as well, including a letter of commendation from Captain Rostron.

What IS quite a coincidence is that when I was talking about Rath to Arpad Lengyel's (the Carpathia's Hungarian doctor) granddaughter, it turned out that the family knew some of Rath's relatives in Budapest, who have a few photos sent by Rath back home.

Mark S Zaid

May 2, 2006
I finally obtained a Silver medal (which I certainly hope is authentic!)!!!

Morton & Eden LTD held an auction last month. Two bronzes were auctioned, and they went for a hefty sum! I think the publicity surrounding the bronze medals enabled me to "steal" the Silver. You can see it at:

http://www.mortonandeden.com/pdfcats/21web.pdf

Lot 108
Carpathia Medal, 1912, in silver, as awarded to junior officers, by Dieges and Clust of New York, reverse stamped 'Sterling', engraved in capitals between the date and the maker's name D. Colquhoun, good very fine, a rare named award in silver.

D. N. COLQUHOUN was born in North Shields and was 7th Engineer of R.M.S. Carpathia. He was 29 years old at the time of the rescue of the Titanic survivors.

The medal was given to the present owner in 1958, when he was working for the Rank Organisation's publicity department, and it was used to publicize the film "A Night to Remember".

Estimate was £3,000-4,000. With the BP, I paid £5300.

Now all I need is a gold medal, but with prices around $50,000, unfortunately that is not happening soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Dear Ernie,

I am a credentialed appraiser through the International Society of Appraisers (ISA), as an ISA AM. I have a potential client who just contacted me who claims to have two Capathia bronze medals, one with the original box and paper work, and at least one original letter from Capt. Roston. I was wondering if you would not mind sending me the roll for the medals that you mention in your post please, or referring me to where I might find it.

I was fortunate enough to be hire by Admiralty Lawyer, Peter Hess, who defended RMS Titanic, Inc (Premiere Exhibitions, Inc.) to work on the 2009 Federal court case dealing with the recovered RMS Titanic artifacts. I have since had a number of people contact me about such items.

Thank you, Greg C. Brown, M.S., ISA AM
President, Greg C. Brown & Associates
President, WA Lewis & Clark Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers
MN Sub-Chapter Chairman, The Explorers Club (2009-2014)
1-888-815-9430
[email protected]

Ernest Luck

Jul 30, 2016
Dear Ernie,

I am a credentialed appraiser through the International Society of Appraisers (ISA), as an ISA AM. I have a potential client who just contacted me who claims to have two Capathia bronze medals, one with the original box and paper work, and at least one original letter from Capt. Roston. I was wondering if you would not mind sending me the roll for the medals that you mention in your post please, or referring me to where I might find it.

I was fortunate enough to be hire by Admiralty Lawyer, Peter Hess, who defended RMS Titanic, Inc (Premiere Exhibitions, Inc.) to work on the 2009 Federal court case dealing with the recovered RMS Titanic artifacts. I have since had a number of people contact me about such items.

Thank you, Greg C. Brown, M.S., ISA AM
President, Greg C. Brown & Associates
President, WA Lewis & Clark Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers
MN Sub-Chapter Chairman, The Explorers Club (2009-2014)
1-888-815-9430
[email protected]

Hi All,

I have not been on this site for several years. I could never get on with the new website. Greg asked me about the medal rolls and I have responded to him in a private email. I dont believe the Carpathia Medals were Government issue but were probably funded by wealthy survivors. In these circumstances there will be no official medal rolls in the National Archives. Probably the issue would have ben recorded but where such records exist I have no idea.

I'm sure there are members better informed than I who could give Greg, some advice.

Ernest, Thank you for both your private reply and your request for assistance for me here! Also, sorry I wrote in your name incorrectly in my post as Ernie!

The medals were indeed a private matter, funded by the first and second class passengers in a charitable effort to assist the poor who were on board and essentially were destitute after loosing everything they ever had in their lives in the sinking, and included funding the medals as a thank you for the crew and those passengers who had an impact on the rescue in important ways. It was chaired by Molly Brown herself, apparently started by her while still onboard the Carpathia after her rescue, and inbound to New York.

One way of another, I will get to the bottom of this if the client chooses to go forward, as I suspect, as they were all awarded at the same time, there is a list some where.

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you Ernest, and to all here. Sincerely, Greg.

Reactions: 1 user

ihavecoins

Nov 8, 2020
Massachusetts
www.ihavecoins.com
Hi All,

I have not been on this site for several years. I could never get on with the new website. Greg asked me about the medal rolls and I have responded to him in a private email. I dont believe the Carpathia Medals were Government issue but were probably funded by wealthy survivors. In these circumstances there will be no official medal rolls in the National Archives. Probably the issue would have ben recorded but where such records exist I have no idea.

I'm sure there are members better informed than I who could give Greg, some advice.
I'm working on a family name for a recipient of a gold Carpathia medal. I'm looking for names of people who received gold medals.
The gold medal I have does not have a name engraved. It was confirmed to be the proper gold content, weight and the box is correct to confirm it is not a copy.
[email protected]

Here are my own notes regarding the names of gold medal recipients and a comment on each. This may not be 100% accurate-
There were six gold medals publicly documented. I suspect these 6 were all engraved.
one each for:
1.Capt. Rostron - Left his Medal on the ship when it sunk.
2.Chief Engineer Johnson,
3.Surgeon Frank E. McGee,
4.Ernest. G. F. Brown, R. N. R., purser; ++Engraved/sold by Bourne end auction
5. Chief Steward Evan Henry Hughes, His was engraved.
6. Second Engineer Marshall.
**7. Roth (not sure who) sold for $55,000
**8. Second Officer James Bisset sold for 41,000 -Name on Medal-Bisset later became Commodore of the Cunard line and the author of several books
**9. First officer Horace JOhn Dean - Name on Medal
**10. Thomas William Hankinson (name given by Thorsten) Name on Medal
??? 11 ?? Marconi was given a gold medal by titanic survivors